South African call centres allegedly sold credit card details

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South African call centres allegedly sold credit card details

The Hawks’ Serious Commercial Crime Investigation unit has arrested two call centre operators for allegedly selling customer’s card information.

In a statement, the Hawks said that the two suspects between 23 and 29 years old and were employed as call centre agents for a reputable financial service credit provider in Goodwood (Cape Town).

krycor

Honorary Master
Now if only we had some sort of security standards in place to prevent this from happening... oh wait, PCI-DSS.
Won't stop them from asking lol.. basically you need to force them provide you will a link to pay. When i got my tracking unit installed on my car i opted for prepayment for this reason as else they want to do a debit order and require details to be provided over the phone.. in the clear. LMFAO. I guess customers/cardholders need to be educated on risks associated with providing card details.

But wait.. isn't there a industry lurking with card details and refuses to update their system to accomodate newer card payment processes.. i.e. Car Rental companies. <-- when these okes get a criminal syndicate working it will be massive fraud as they literally make a copy of your card & cvv.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Now if only we had some sort of security standards in place to prevent this from happening... oh wait, PCI-DSS.
Sadly, PCI isn't a legal requirement so unless it's requested by the card brands or the creditors bank it's not going to happen.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
RCS Group offices are in Goodwood....
I had a paid up Builders card from years back and got a message to say I need to upgrade to a more secure card.

Ignored a dozen calls from RCS.

Then I got an SMS to say I bought R3K from Edcon in KZN on my Builders card. I live in Cape Town.

RCS fraud department where quick to cancel the card and advised me how to get an affidavit.

I cancelled the card after the fraud charges where reversed as I always pay cash.

I will leave it there.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Did you guys also maps.google.com it? :laugh:
Sorry for RCS if it's not them, but I don't see any other reputable credit providers in Goodwood.
Haha no a friend used to work there a few years ago and I dropped him off once

Solarion

Honorary Master
Incredibly serious offences these. They can certainly expect some time behind bars.