South African companies trying to dodge BEE laws – commission warns of fines and up to 10 years in jail

umamankandla

Wait...what?
If you're caught not being racist, you'll be fined and/or jailed?
The funny thing is, they alway report this and that long sentence and this one was sentenced to 100 years. But sentences run concurrently so the max for white colour crime is 10 years. And you only serve 50% then you qualify for parole. So even if sentenced 100 years, you only sit max 5.

umamankandla

I once told a colleague if I was him I would use my race to my advantage and start my own business and chase government tenders. He interpreted this as becoming a forefront for a white business. Its like it's in the DNA...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
They should ban sub-contracting on tenders, these tenderpreneurs need to actually do work.

This is where Preferential Procurement comes into play, for the most part the contractor needs to report on the specifics. As previously mentioned, a lot of the non-BEE crowd waves their level 4 certs around because they are exempt being an EME. For larger projects, the scorecard matters, so EME doesn't really offer any value for economic participation, a subject I am well acquainted with, which changes the complexity of sub-contracting.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
South Africa ..... Frikken racist little shidthole

There is just so many things wrong with this whole discussion.
Fronting, an act where a black person or entity is given a stake but does not get the powers associated with it,

1603547177135.png

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Just don't do any business with the government. Contrary to popular belief BEE is not compulsory and there's absolutely no legal requirement to be BEE compliant unless you want to do business with the government.

Graafmonster

Just don't do any business with the government. Contrary to popular belief BEE is not compulsory and there's absolutely no legal requirement to be BEE compliant unless you want to do business with the government.
Its not that easy. If your client want to do business with the government or your clients client want to do business with government, your scorecard will be used in their procurement calculation, influencing their BEE score

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member

Um, it's not just government, private sector too.

neoprema

Executive Member
oh good, there's what 20 million avoiding tax in South Africa?

Best you start building that skyscraper on Robben Island.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Well. When you get a R10mil order from a Government department that keeps your company going during lockdown it's a bit different. And it's not anything to do with BEE. Helps when you are a sole supplier...