South African courier hijackings are worse than ever

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South African courier hijackings are worse than ever

Criminal syndicates and opportunistic robbers are setting their sights on packages being transported by couriers in South Africa.

This is according to Garry Marshall, the CEO of the South African Express Parcel Association (SAEPA), which represents a wide range of couriers operating in the country.

rvZA

Expert Member
So basically a scratch card lottery for criminals to see what they get?

I would not say that.

9 out of 10 courier vehicles have at least a few thousands of Rands in goods, albeit something electronically, gold, silver, a TV, cellphones and more - things that can easily be sold off for money.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
I wonder how this has affected the firearms industry as there are only one or two companies that are allowed to courier firearms and ammunition. Would be interesting to know. I just hope I don't get affected.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
They just need to start adding tracking parcels that look like cellphones/eclectronic goods.

Need to be ahead of the game dudes !

cyb3rt

I won't even be surprised if some government officials are involved in these syndicates. Why would they do anything about it then? That's right, they don't care, so most likely got a finger in the pie.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
I have noticed most of my parcels have been delivered in unmarked vehicles.

My PS5 arrived safely.

KikzAzz

“Part of the problem is that once you report it, the vehicle becomes a crime scene, and it may get impounded, therefore the courier can’t continue delivering,” he added.

And then the car is gone forever. I think it is one place that you don't want your car to be.

But why? If I was a courier I wouldn't report it. And nothing is going to happen anyway. You'll have all the effort and inconvenience and then the docket is chucked into a dark hole.

epah

Expert Member
Criminals will always find a way, we can order things online but they will still find a way to get their hands on them.