South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Went for a test at 08:45 yesterday morning

Results smsd through at 2am today. Impressive. (lancet labs)

rietrot

Honorary Master
Went for a test at 08:45 yesterday morning

Results smsd through at 2am today. Impressive. (lancet labs)
Good to know.
So then the backlog is at some government lab?
Did you pass or fail your test?

MiW

Expert Member
I don’t want to dissect the judgement, I’ll leave that for lawyers to do.

I’m just confused by the judgement cause it’s not clear to me which regulations are irrational and why they are irrational. The judgement mentions some regulations and says they are irrational compared to other regulations, but I don’t think that’s how you do that rationality test the judgement speaks about just before it tests some of the regulations.

What’s further confusing is that item 1 of the order says that all the regulations are unconstitutional and invalid, but the judgement did not apply its rationality test to all the regulations. So it’s not clear to me how the court knows that all the regulations, except those excluded by item 2, are not rational when it did not consider the rationality of all the regulations.
It took me some time to figure it my self.
State of emergency vs state of disaster.
SOE can only last 21 days ( hence just lvl3 and 4 are the problem).
SOD can not be so harsh as SOE.
If they want to keep SOE, they need to vote it in parliament with 60% min votes needed.

Paulsie

And that is exactly why some say, keep away from hospitals for as long as you can. It is not about the quality of doctors, it is about overall management of activities and how much people care about others.

RedViking

Nord of the South
And that is exactly why some say, keep away from hospitals for as long as you can. It is not about the quality of doctors, it is about overall management of activities and how much people care about others.
I doubt anyone is willingly going to a hospital just for fun.

MiW

Expert Member
News24 gets a ice cream lolly for making pretty pics of data already available. :rolleyes:
It clearly shows that WC did less screening and referrals
Considering the insistence of the province that it was aggressively testing and screening hotspot areas, and was finding cases at a much higher rate, it was expected it would have referred the most people from screening
But, according to a presentation by Health Minister Zweli Mkhize before Parliament's health portfolio committee on Tuesday, the province had referred only 11 462 people from a total of 507 884 screened - the lowest number from any province when coupled with the higher positive testing rate for hospitalised patients and shows the Covid-19 epidemic in the province is much further advanced.
Also shows how many people are on Oxygen vs ventilators ... and KZN looks very dodgy

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Maybe, but I don't find that hospitalisation data readily available in a handy format anywhere else.
Since 24 may, on the NICD website.
And BTW, news 24 misses the most important fact in this whole mess, which is while all private hospitals are tightly monitored, only 16% of the 359 public hospitals submit reports!
That is the bigger scandle in all of this.
But then, that fact is hidden in the small print.