South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surface

Executive Member
Serious question. How is mask covering chin is going to stop anything? Seen many people wearing chin guards over weekend.

djbrendan

Expert Member
You in George hey? Hopefully George opens! Isn't it the 2nd biggest airport in the WC? Ridiculous it has been closed! :mad:
It's one of the faster growing airport, comparing regional airports. Second biggest of the regional airports. But it's staying closed...

diapason

Expert Member
Yup instead of just dropping to level 2, lets add more regulations to 3, or how about as the president said, put it in our hands.
Yes. The more you can add to Level 3 the longer it will take to get to the level where the Kopdoek Kritter will allow cigarettes,

MiW

Expert Member
  • Abuja | 3 flights per week as of July 3, 2020
  • Accra | 3 flights per week as of July 17, 2020
  • Addis Ababa | 3 flights per week as of July 13, 2020
  • Bamako | 2 flights per week as of July 23, 2020
  • Johannesburg | 3 flights per week as of July 3, 2020
  • Kinshasa | 2 flights per week as of July 19, 2020
  • Lagos | 3 flights per week as of July 3, 2020
  • Nairobi | 3 flights per week as of July 10, 2020
  • Niamey | 2 flights per week as of July 26, 2020
  • Nouakchott | 3 flights per week as of July 20, 2020
  • Ouagadougou | 2 flights per week as of July 16, 2020
TK airlines must know something about SA lockdown too, as they seem to be very detailed on dates.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You do know that ventilators need oxygen, much more oxygen, than a normal oxygen mask?
Yes of course. So the shortages are probably, the equipment required for alternative oxygen delivery being in short supply plus available oxygen being kept in reserve for ventilators.

MiW

Expert Member
Of the 10 700 COVID-19 admissions to date, 2 333 (21.8%) met the criteria for severe disease. The median age of patients who had severe disease was 54 (IQR 44 – 63) years; compared to 48 (IQR 35 – 61) years for those who did not have severe disease. Amongst admissions that reported in-hospital outcome (died and discharged), 782 (10.7%) patients were treated in ICU and 666 (9.1%) were treated in High Care; 389 (5.3%) were ventilated and 1073 (14.7%) received supplemental oxygen. The proportion of reported in-patients who were treated in ICU and ventilated in each epidemiological week has decreased in the past ten weeks (Figure 4).

Of the 7 324 COVID-19 patients who had recorded in-hospital outcome (died and discharged), 1 515 died, equating to a case fatality ratio (CFR) of 20.7%. On multivariable analysis, factors associated with in-hospital mortality were older age groups; male sex; admission in the public sector and in Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal provinces; and having comorbid hypertension, diabetes, chronic cardiac disease, chronic renal disease, malignancy, HIV and obesity (Table 3).

rambo919

Executive Member
Confirmed C-19 cases in town have been increasing.... no one I know has been tested yet though.... Also the local shoprite where the poorer folk shop (and they do so en masse, there are always queues) has been repeatedly closed down for a emergency scrubbing. I do wonder how much of all this is just over reaction and how much is reliable.

Temujin

Executive Member
Confirmed C-19 cases in town have been increasing.... no one I know has been tested yet though.... Also the local shoprite where the poorer folk shop (and they do so en masse, there are always queues) has been repeatedly closed down for a emergency scrubbing. I do wonder how much of all this is just over reaction and how much is reliable.

eg2505

Honorary Master
majority of it is overreaction,
every-time Im forced to wear a mask I picture this in my head,
almost the same backwards thinking in the first place. a mask wont protect you from anything
plague-doctor-masks.jpg

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Thanks. A lot of useful data in the appendices, though mostly not surprising based on other studies.

The report does not state any conclusions, but to me one of the more unexpected/welcome results is that the HIV, TB and asthma risk factors are low (0.9, 1.2 and 1.2), compared to hypertension and diabetes (2.5 and 2.4). The overall data again emphasise that mortality is a result of cardio-vascular complications, and not the viral infection itself.

rambo919

Executive Member
I am starting to fear a coming under reaction when a largely lethal strain actually does hit because of the current over reaction to a mostly less lethal strain...... not that it necessarily will happen but I can see people saying "they are lying to us now like they did last time" and getting killed because of mass mistrust.

Grant

Honorary Master
Serious question. How is mask covering chin is going to stop anything? Seen many people wearing chin guards over weekend.
It when you're on your knees, doggy style. It prevents chin injury in the event of slippage

*govt left no stone unturned

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Richards Bay:

MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TO ALL MEDIA

ATTENTION: NEWS EDITORS AND NEWS REPORTERS

29 JUNE 2020

RE: CITY OF UMHLATHUZE EMPLOYEES CONFIRMED COVID-19 POSITIVE

City of uMhlathuze Richards Bay Civic Centre offices are closed until further notice for disinfection following the identification of COVID-19 positive cases on some of the employees.

All employees were requested to leave the building today with immediate effect to allow for the disinfection. Affected employees will be working from their respective homes to ensure that service delivery is not affected.

Members of the public were also requested to leave the building with immediate effect to avoid the possible spread of the virus.

The City will continue with all operations remotely using the 24-hour toll free line as well as online and digital platforms until the offices are reopened. Essential services such as water, sanitation, refuse removal, electricity supply and many other critical services of the municipality will continue operating as normal.

City’s management and COVID-19 task team is working with lightning speed to trace all the contacts that might have met with the infected employees as well as to disinfect the whole building as soon as possible. The Department of Health in the King Cetshwayo Region is also assisting the City in testing all the contacts that were immediately identified.

Members of the public are urged to pay attention to our Social Media Pages and other traditional media with regards to updates until the building is back on operations.

COMMUNICATION WITH THE CITY OF UMHLATHUZE

FIRE & RESCUE: 035-907 5722

FACEBOOK: umhlathuze official

TWITTER: @umhlathuzeM

The City of uMhlathuze is highly committed to ensure health and safety of employees, service providers, customers, community members and anyone who visit the city premises at all time.

surface

Executive Member
City of uMhlathuze Richards Bay Civic Centre offices are closed until further notice for disinfection following the identification of COVID-19 positive cases on some of the employees.
If I look at the responses I am yet to receive from UIF, RSA retail bonds, it certainly looks like this has been an excellent official opportunity not to work.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I am told that mask is mainly to protect others from you.
maybe, and maybe we all need to start wearing plague masks to prevent the virus from spreading.
and maybe we all need to wear kitchen gloves everywhere to prevent us from picking up the virus from surfaces.

why not go full madness, and force everybody to wear motorbike crash helmets indoors so you cant touch your nose/mouth.

I see no end to this insanity really,

Status
Not open for further replies.