South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

surface

Executive Member
maybe, and maybe we all need to start wearing plague masks to prevent the virus from spreading.
and maybe we all need to wear kitchen gloves everywhere to prevent us from picking up the virus from surfaces.

why not go full madness, and force everybody to wear motorbike crash helmets indoors so you cant touch your nose/mouth.

I see no end to this insanity really,
eish.. you are passionate.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Abso-farking-lutely not. Bacteria are orders of magnitude larger than any virus.
The VECTOR is the same. The way they are transported. In the droplets. Not so?

Or do you think the virus is exclusively found in smaller, aerosolised droplets and not normal droplets? Normal droplets not at all implicated in transmission?

Azg

Expert Member
I am told that mask is mainly to protect others from you.
Since we are not certain who is infected or not, if we all wear masks in public we are protecting each other.

It's a small sacrifice to make in order to get on with our daily business (better than full lockdown), until this is over.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Since we are not certain who is infected or not, if we all wear masks in public we are protecting each other.

It's a small sacrifice to make in order to get on with our daily business (better than full lockdown), until this over or a vaccine/cure is found.
Vaccine/Cure that's cute, there is away to get back to normal, but no freaking government wants to allow it, except for Sweden.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Sweden is turning into a very poor example of anything related to the virus.

So far the only truly effective measures are the early introduction of travel and quarantining, and contact tracing.

Then the protection of the vulnerable, NOT the locking up of healthy individuals.

Once the virus is in the country, "controlled spread" is all that is left, and that is what social distancing and the wearing of masks assists with.
I cannot understand why there are people who push against simple measures.

B-1

Its to lower risk and the speed of the virus spreading not protect you or me or anyone. Its purely a easy way to slow down the spread somewhat. If its used in combination with other ways of slowing the spread it eases the impact of the virus on everyone.

rustypup

Expert Member
Or do you think the virus is exclusively found in smaller, aerosolised droplets and not normal droplets? Normal droplets not at all implicated in transmission?
No. What we do know is a virus doesn't have its own DNA and does not propagate anywhere near the same way bacteria do.

Comparing them, especially in growth medium, is not only idiotic, it's farking dishonest and earns everyone involved a punch to the gut.

SNLV30

COVID-19 test kits found dumped
A jogger reportedly came across the used COVID-19 test kits while out for their morning run.

The COVID-19 test kits had all the information about the tested patients, the hospitals they came from and appeared to be on their way to Port Elizabeth to be tested.

According to the jogger who was careful not to touch any of the kits, the tests were marked as urgent.

The jogger said that he saw hundreds of the test kits strewn down the side of the highway in black bags

B-1

No. What we do know is a virus doesn't have its own DNA and does not propagate anywhere near the same way bacteria do.

Comparing them, especially in growth medium, is not only idiotic, it's farking dishonest and earns everyone involved a punch to the gut.
I believe you misunderstood the point of that picture and the test it represented.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

/sigh

You're unable to extrapolate the presence/absence of virus particles from the presence/absence of bacteria with the same transport mechanism in different samples??

rustypup

Expert Member
I believe you misunderstood the point of that picture and the test it represented.
If you buy that aerosol is the primary infection vector.. then go ahead and continue wetting your pantaloons.

Scary pictures of bacterial growth mean nothing with respect to something as complex as mammal physiology - bacteria != virus.

B-1

If you buy that aerosol is the primary infection vector.. then go ahead and continue wetting your pantaloons.

Scary pictures of bacterial growth mean nothing with respect to something as complex as mammal physiology - bacteria != virus.
Its the primary transport mechanism he demonstrated he could have used fruit loops instead of bacteria and still have shown the same point. You just seem unable to comprehend what's going on so now you're throwing poop at me.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Sweden is turning into a very poor example of anything related to the virus.

So far the only truly effective measures are the early introduction of travel and quarantining, and contact tracing.

Then the protection of the vulnerable, NOT the locking up of healthy individuals.

Once the virus is in the country, "controlled spread" is all that is left, and that is what social distancing and the wearing of masks assists with.
I cannot understand why there are people who push against simple measures.
Thailand seems to have the virus under control, I believe they had no news cases in recent weeks
Its the primary transport mechanism he demonstrated he could have used fruit loops instead of bacteria and still have shown the same point. You just seem unable to comprehend what's going on so now you're throwing poop at me.
The CDC confirmed that aerosols are now the primary vector for new infections in the states