South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

RedViking

Nord of the South
I can't believe the BS infographics on TV this morning, the wrong data, the wrong dates, the mismatch between what GP MEC she's in his presentations compared to the national stats.
A complete mess. One report states about 4000 news cases in GP, the very next one says 1728.
One report claims to be a 7 days moving average but the dates are wrong. Yesterday was apparently Tuesday the 2 and July.
I don't see any problem? Appears to be up to standard then. :sneaky:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Meanwhile.... in NZ.....

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I don't see any problem? Appears to be up to standard then. :sneaky:
No, it is not "up to standard". It was far better and accurate. Today is a complete mess! And that mess is always triggered by the crap that comes out of the GP MEC presentation. Those figures and slides, (which are tabled there and never provided to the public afterwards) are always out of step with the national figures.
GP Health department is just pathetic. There is no other way to describe the way they go about reporting on the Epidemic.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Just finished reading this. It should be said that Prof Van den Heever has also been wrong at various points in his criticisms and he has the benefit of 20/20 hindsight for leveling this criticism.

All that said,he's right that government has failed and though he doesn't say why it reads between the lines that it looks like government took this as an opportunity to show everyone that they can go it alone without private healthcare industry. That experiment failed badly and we're going to pay even more for it. My other speculation is that the ANC being the ANC did not 1) want to give money to the private sector (because stupid ideology) and 2) if they let the private sector (health and others) provide some of the help free as the prof suggests most would have, there'd be no opportunity to skim or scoop in our case when all the emergency procurement money became available.
No, you are being unfair to the Prof. His story has been very consistent all along. His analysis has been to the point. His criticism has been spot on all the time. Obviously he has revised his figures as more data became available so calling that hindsight and 20/20 vision is just wrong.

Last edited:

Botha22

Looks like they're only going to start taking in patients at only one ( Brackengate) of the three field hospitals in the province. They're either not ready with the hospitals in terms of staffing as they look fully equipped in the pics or they still have capacity as the MEC claims.
Brackengate is Cape Town not Gauteng.

RedViking

Nord of the South
No, it is not "up to standard". It was far better and accurate. Today is a complete mess! And that mess is always triggered by the crap that comes out of the GP MEC presentation. Those figures and slides, (which are tabled there and never provided to the public afterwards) are always out of step with the national figures.
GP Health department is just pathetic. There is no other way to describe the way they go about reporting on the Epidemic.
I was being sarcastic.

R13...

Honorary Master
1. Anyone who posts 3D pie charts should be fired!
2. IMO the data are more an indictment of a health system under crisis, than information about treatment.
Superseded by subsequent post and comment.
It's government, they probably haven't got around to standardising branding and developing templates like you see at most corporates. And government have a huge Comms department. Not even per province.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Sinbad

Honorary Master
SPIRE partnered with the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital to add an additional 29 beds. This more than doubles the ICU capacity of the hospital

That's actually quite a sobering stat. Joburg Gen had less than 29 ICU beds....

Lupus

Honorary Master
SPIRE partnered with the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital to add an additional 29 beds. This more than doubles the ICU capacity of the hospital

That's actually quite a sobering stat. Joburg Gen had less than 29 ICU beds....
Have you been there? It's this massive hospital and yet the ICU feels like something from a typical African country. People sitting on crappy chairs, the paramedics just wheeling patients in and leaving it's a shocker.
Even Helen Joseph isn't great, but it was a step up. I had my gran and grandfather have to go to government hospitals, they are horrid.