South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Tried to argue with some of the anti-maskers on there, but it seems to be a pointless persuit.
do you also use falsehoods to make the argument though?

that idiot woman in the video keeps repeating "it is the law", well, it is NOT the law, simple as that

the shop however should just have gone with "right of admission reserved", they're under no obligation to let him inside, just as he is under no obligation to wear a mask ... they choose what measures they want to enforce for entry, he chooses whether he will comply or go somewhere else, simple

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Yeah they can work from home and limit their exposure, instead of the entire country. It's not like quarantining the government will make a difference anyway.
so I haven't had my morning coffee, but I read that as guillotining the government ... which absolutely will make a huge, positive, difference imo :cool:

R13...

Honorary Master
So just got back from a jog and crossed path with a jogging group of 8. All look middle aged and all had their masks around their necks while blowing breaths in two clumps of 4. Oh well. Let Darwin sort them out I guess, must be the thinking.

Supervan II

Expert Member
so I haven't had my morning coffee, but I read that as guillotining the government ... which absolutely will make a huge, positive, difference imo :cool:
Bastille Day is just around the corner, just saying ...

And BTW: Today (4th July) in 1776 was Brexit Day ;)

Sinbad

Honorary Master
do you also use falsehoods to make the argument though?

that idiot woman in the video keeps repeating "it is the law", well, it is NOT the law, simple as that

the shop however should just have gone with "right of admission reserved", they're under no obligation to let him inside, just as he is under no obligation to wear a mask ... they choose what measures they want to enforce for entry, he chooses whether he will comply or go somewhere else, simple
It is the law, simple as that.
1593846113383.png

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yet I find it funny during the hard lockdown it wasn't the law it was suggested.

FlashSA

Executive Member
This was cleared up earlier in the thread, by myself. It is law, under the state of disaster regulations, to wear a mask in public. However, it is not a criminal offence to not wear a mask in public and you cannot be charged for not wearing a mask. You can, however, come across as a d*ck for not wearing a mask in public.

Pierre De Vos supplied this to substantiate the above:
Page 1.png
Page 2.png

FNfal

Executive Member
Similar wording was in the level 4 regulations, level 3 regulations, and again in the level 3 "advanced" regulations. He seems adamant that it's not a legal requirement to wear a mask in public though.
I think he is relying on this .

" The further, and for the majority the most important, wearing of masks is obligatory (Regulations 5 and 33) but not something which could lead to your arrest and criminal prosecution (ito Regulations 14 and 48) anymore. LFN is advocating anyone who so wishes, may now legally remove their masks and may not be arrested or criminally prosecuted for doing it. "

Still waiting for some one with legal expertise to interpret the judgement .

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Which court case determined that?
It is the law, simple as that.
View attachment 869753
laid out nicely in the post below yours (couple of posts above this one):

court case was never needed, it is not a criminal offence and cannot be prosecuted i.e. it is not the law
a "law" that can be broken without any legal consequence whatsoever is not a law

Sinbad

Honorary Master
laid out nicely in the post below yours (couple of posts above this one):

court case was never needed, it is not a criminal offence and cannot be prosecuted i.e. it is not the law
a "law" that can be broken without any legal consequence whatsoever is not a law
So speed limits are not the law then? There's no legal consequence under AARTO for driving at 149 in a 120 zone. Just an administrative fine.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think he is relying on this .

" The further, and for the majority the most important, wearing of masks is obligatory (Regulations 5 and 33) but not something which could lead to your arrest and criminal prosecution (ito Regulations 14 and 48) anymore. LFN is advocating anyone who so wishes, may now legally remove their masks and may not be arrested or criminally prosecuted for doing it. "

Still waiting for some one with legal expertise to interpret the judgement .
A law without consequences is still a law, right?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
So speed limits are not the law then? There's no legal consequence under AARTO for driving at 149 in a 120 zone. Just an administrative fine.
a fine is a legal consequence, for not wearing a mask there are none at all whatsoever

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
A law without consequences is still a law, right?
not really, like a 50% discount sale being advertised yet there's no discount when you arrive at the store ... still a sale?

a number of dictionaries use that pesky word "enforce" as part of the definition of the word "law", without enforcement there is no law:
the principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision
e.g. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/law

/dev/null

Wow, he seems very angry. He should also be angry at covid-19.