South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Are there graphs of current all-in excess mortality on a provincial basis available anywhere?
Excess mortality data take a long time to gather and validate, and are normally released on a weekly basis by the SAMRC. Don't expect the recent surge in Gauteng to show up for several weeks. The W-Cape is the only province that has shown statistically significant numbers (so far).

Last known figures, all-causes, national, 23 June: https://www.samrc.ac.za/reports/report-weekly-deaths-south-africa

Detailed report and provincial charts: https://www.samrc.ac.za/sites/default/files/files/2020-07-01/WeeklyDeaths23June2020_0.pdf
• Two metros in Gauteng have shown increased numbers of deaths in the week up till 23 June 2020.
• Deaths from natural causes in the City of Cape Town, Buffalo and Nelson Mandela Bay metros continued increasing in the week up to 23 June 2020. Since the 6th May, an excess of 2,167 deaths from natural causes has been experienced in Cape Town, 202 in Buffalo and 455 in Nelson Mandela Bay. A sharp increase in natural deaths was observed in Buffalo City and the weekly number of natural deaths is significantly higher than predicted number.
•Western Cape, Eastern Cape, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal have all shown increases in natural deaths and are experiencing an excess number of natural deaths.

Last edited:

Mila

Honorary Master

And the AnC just keep looting and the private sector has to come up with solutions. Which will probably be hampered by some policy because some cadre is not getting a kickback
And only thing Dumbmini sees is smokes.

FlashSA

Executive Member
We discussed earlier how the tenderpreneurs were using COVID-19 to feed properly. I give you, invoices for door to door awareness.
1593900107.png1593900104.png
1593931094.png

Last edited:

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Yeah, @Geoff.D has been banging the drum about the poor quality data from Gauteng. It seems his concerns have been justified. Also Gauteng doesn't seem to update deaths every day either (the last two days there have been no deaths which is not believable. I think because Gauteng doesn't update deaths every day but that makes it more difficult to discern trends).

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Do you have issues with the programme in principle or do you have a problem with the amount of money charged to run such programmes?
R660 per person visited on a walkabout?
What are the underlying costs and how do we know that 4000 visits were actually done?

Transparency is important when it comes to public funds.

thechamp

Honorary Master
R660 per person visited on a walkabout?
What are the underlying costs and how do we know that 4000 visits were actually done?

Transparency is important when it comes to public funds.
I agree, transparency is very important.

nivek

Executive Member
Do you have issues with the programme in principle or do you have a problem with the amount of money charged to run such programmes?
Whenever an ANC run council/ municipality does something it needs to be treated with suspicion first.

So this is what most likely happened here, the ANC run municipality gave a contract to a shelf company belonging to a relative / wife / son of one of the councilors that then went and hired a few homeless and jobless kids at R10 an hour to go door to door handing out 10c pamphlets. They then pocketed the 3m profit.

FlashSA

Executive Member
R660+vat per household visit and the fact that a handwritten invoice was acceptable smells a lot like dodgy smoke. If you're in business, you'll know that no private company would accept that handwritten invoice for such a large amount.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Whenever an ANC run council/ municipality does something it needs to be treated with suspicion first.

So this is what most likely happened here, the ANC run municipality gave a contract to a shelf company belonging to a relative / wife / son of one of the councilors that then went and hired a few homeless and jobless kids at R10 an hour to go door to door handing out 10c pamphlets. They then pocketed the 3m profit.
Is answering my question too difficult? What's the point of telling me all this? It was a simple question, I have no interest in what you think happened.