South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

Paulsie

We discussed earlier how the tenderpreneurs were using COVID-19 to feed properly. I give you, invoices for door to door awareness.
View attachment 870061View attachment 870063
View attachment 870065
Here is the full article relating to these invoices

Polymathic

Honorary Master
It looks like it's going to get to the stage where the economy going grind to a halt anyway. I really see don't see things stabilising without another lockdown but there's a more 50% chance that the lockdown won't work.

RedViking

Nord of the South
It looks like it's going to get to the stage where the economy going grind to a halt anyway. I really see don't see things stabilising without another lockdown but there's a more 50% chance that the lockdown won't work.
Seeing the purpose of the Lockdown is to help health care to manage.

95% chance it won't work.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
The 1st hard lockdown didn't work (if you recall the goal of the 1st lockdown). Why do you think the second one will? There is serious community transmission already happening...

Paulsie

I think the biggest threat with the rising number of cases economically is the number of businesses and outlets that will have to close because one of the staff has tested positive. And once they reopen, rinse, spin, repeat. Worse than a lockdown.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The 1st hard lockdown didn't work (if you recall the goal of the 1st lockdown). Why do you think the second one will? There is serious community transmission already happening...
Community transmission was happening back then too. The lockdown delayed the explosion of cases in Gauteng and KZN by at least a month and it prevented the ZCC Easter pilgrimage, so in those aspects the lockdown was a success.

The real problem (excluding) was the reopening strategy, they took too long to reopen the economy and they basically had no mitigation strategy beyond social distancing, washing hands and wearing masks they had from the start.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
They can't anymore... It's in the townships... They're fscked now.
If this virus gets under control in anyway it might end up being a black virus, people in the townships don't give a crap about social distancing, still sharing their zols, putting their hands in each other's food and passing their cool drink/beers amongst each other

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If this virus gets under control in anyway it might end up being a black virus, people in the townships don't give a crap about social distancing, still sharing their zols, putting their hands in each other's food and passing their cool drink/beers amongst each other
And that's precisely why a lockdown is pointless in this country... The most vulnerable places are the places that can't and won't social distance and stay at home and all that.

MiW

Expert Member
Not Covid-19, but very related to the crap going on political side
This is according to Professor Tinyiko Maluleke and Dr Metji Makgoba who spoke to the Sunday Independent yesterday after several ANC and government sources claimed a cabinet reshuffle was on the cards.

zoozi

I think the biggest threat with the rising number of cases economically is the number of businesses and outlets that will have to close because one of the staff has tested positive. And once they reopen, rinse, spin, repeat. Worse than a lockdown.
Something I think of too. Not sure what the regulations are for regular office businesses vs. retail but the local supermarkets close for the day and disinfect everytime they find a staff infection (they've done this several times already).

Paulsie

Not Covid-19, but very related to the crap going on political side
I'm so proud of our goverment. I never realized we had so many ministers who specialize in so many areas!

According to the list, Cele, Sisulu, Mkhize, Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu, Home Affairs Minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, Agriculture and Land Reform Minister Thoko Didiza, Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga and Public Service and Administration Minister Senzo Mchunu would be shifted around.

Mkhize and Motsoaledi would swop portfolios, Sisulu moves to agriculture while Didiza is redeployed to social development. Mchunu takes over the water and sanitation department, Zulu to public service while Free State education MEC Tate Makgoe replaces Motshekga, who moves to the Presidency.