South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

joshuatree

Expert Member
Dokter se toets negatief; en toe draai hy by die dood om

shared via @Netwerk24

-----
Doctor from Vredenburg, aged 36, 3 days in coma and ventilator - Covid-19.

Last edited:

Paulsie

Have just received a generic email from Ampath labs, stating that they have rapidly reached testing capacity and as such, need to start limiting tests to certain groups.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
My brother and his fiance started showing symptoms a few days ago. Fatigue and he described it as feeling as if he isn't getting enough oxygen in. Yesterday they found out the wife of his colleague has tested positive and his colleague will be tested today.

My brother's fiance is being tested today.

R13...

Honorary Master
Gauteng will leap frog the WC tomorrow when they release the next round though it has probably already done so. Also notice that SA is number 5 (or was yesterday) in the world when you look at just cumulative active cases.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Gauteng will leap frog the WC tomorrow when they release the next round though it has probably already done so. Also notice that SA is number 5 (or was yesterday) in the world when you look at just cumulative active cases.
at this rate we'll also hit #5 in the world by total case count, BRICS representing!

one BRICS member started it all and the other 4 will all be in the global top 5 by total cases

MiW

Expert Member
good question.
he would have been under the care of critical care physicians.
perhaps go along and offer your googled expertise
When unconscious a patient should be rotated every 3-4h to don't get bed sores , covid or not nurses don't do their job. And nurses have much more control , than the doctors, when it comes to care.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
What do you mean?

Gauteng is already on 51k active cases vs the 18k of the Western Cape. Or are you using some other metric?

I haven't paid attention to the numbers for a couple of weeks now. My, how things have changed with regard to Gauteng and that armpit province of SA (EC).

R13...

Honorary Master
What do you mean?

Gauteng is already on 51k active cases vs the 18k of the Western Cape. Or are you using some other metric?

I haven't paid attention to the numbers for a couple of weeks now. My, how things have changed with regard to Gauteng and that armpit province of SA (EC).
The part about GP vs WC related to overall cases not just active.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The part about GP vs WC related to overall cases not just active.
I haven't played the numbers game for a few weeks, but let's go.

What difference to anything does the total number of cases mean in reality? Why do you care about it?

R13...

Honorary Master
I haven't played the numbers game for a few weeks, but let's go.

What difference to anything does the total number of cases mean in reality? Why do you care about it?
The numbers for me show the extent of the pandemic. We're obviously only seeing a small percentage of actual cases. But listening to people it seems a lot of people (at least those I know) see this as a further sign to take not to be stupid about the seriousness and how their careless could affect their elderly relatives and family.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
CR, follow the people of Florida and hold a NCCC Covid party.
Follow the rules.
1. Stay below 50 guests.
2. All wear masks the way most do.
3. Hold the party between 6 am and 6 pm.
4. Serve take away KFC.
5. Keep all confined inside.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The numbers for me show the extent of the pandemic. We're obviously only seeing a small percentage of actual cases. But listening to people it seems a lot of people (at least those I know) see this as a further sign to take not to be stupid about the seriousness and how their careless could affect their elderly relatives and family.
But the stats from around the world suggest that with the numbers we have in SA, there are in all probability about 8 million actual infections currently, so what good is this tiny window on it doing for anyone?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi guys, in the last 3 days or so, there was a report from the PANDA group. Anyone know where I can find it please. It was a twitter message.