South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
On that, we can agree.
Only WC has been pretty upfront about what their testing strategy and purpose has been and is. As to the rest of the country and the Health Department, who knows? Certainly, GP has been dishing out rubbish stats on testing from day one as far as I am concerned.

The figures and graphs we occassionally see on ch 404 from the CSIR at least do not try and disguise anything. It is a real pity that we are denied access to those stats and graphs on a daily basis, instead of being fed the fancy infographic official crap from the Health Minister.

The CSIR spokesman Dr Suliman, at least always stresses the point about not being able to place much credence on the increases/decreases on total cases because of the influence the testing strategy has on those numbers.

He also continues to caution against being too optimistic about any decrease in the death rates or infections as well.

The same applies to the BS interpretations we see by the news channels, eNCA and the SABC. Most of the time their reporting is nothing short of pathetic because of the interpretation they place on any of the number movements each day.

The number that really gets to me is the "recovery rate" The fuss that is made about this number daily is just ridiculous. How can a mathematcally derived number be called a recovery rate?
No testing is done to validate it. At best that number simply means that x number of people are no longer considered to be exhibiting any Covid 19 symptoms.
You got evidence for your claims?

thestaggy

Honorary Master

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Another thought. Does anyone think of the negative effects that starvation is going to have on normal people because of the poor diet they are now subjected as a result of the economic downturn? That impacts on the ability to fight off disease and possibly aggravates and make them more vulnerable to the coronavirus? There are literally dozens of things that the economic downturn is going to aggravate for many many years as a result of this brain-dead LD strategy.
I posted this a while ago:
Coronavirus and its restrictions are pushing already hungry communities over the edge, killing an estimated 10,000 more young children a month as meagre farms are cut off from markets and villages are isolated from food and medical aid, the United Nations warned Monday.
https://www.france24.com/en/2020072...unger-kills-10-000-children-per-month-says-un

It's gotta be a problem everywhere.

Paulsie

Data mysteries
We surmise that there is some catch-up reporting going on, but the fact that the updates have all come in the same week as the President announced a tightening of lockdown cries out for an explanation.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
So it would seem no cinema actually reopened. Was just taking a look now.

MiW

Expert Member
Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South

I wonder how much did the government spend on that.
Well cheaper option than wasting money on hospitals being burned down.

MiW

Expert Member
Well cheaper option than wasting money on hospitals being burned down.
I meant more the fact that there would've been a tender involved and contracts and so on...It's not like just paying for some tarp...

Madhawk

Honorary Master
I'm so glad that the lockdown has helped people to die in parking lots with dignity...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You got evidence for your claims?
Yes, it is called watching the local news channels and READING what WC publishes.
As to the crap we are fed in GP? Well, that is a problem because it seems to be only available on twatter and platforms like that.

As to Dr Sulimans stuff, occasionally someone posts a link to his twatter posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.