South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 2

Brian_G

Expert Member
Here's some loan development details;
[1st of May]
The government will use the R95 billion it is borrowing from international financial institutions to support businesses hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic as well as create and protect much-needed jobs.
The National Treasury on Thursday indicated that it would be borrowing R95bn from multilateral financial institutions – the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the World Bank and BRICS’s New Development Bank (NDB) – which will provide business support, job creation and protection.

South Africa has borrowed US$4.2bn (over R77.4bn) from the IMF, while the African Development Bank’s funding is yet to be determined, and the institution is still assessing the requests from member countries.
This next one from 17 May claims the IMF are now behaving. But easy enough to make any claims... (IMO of course.)

Paulsie

White government?
The DA in WC are being blamed for mishandling the crisis. Since the said article mentioned, it was the poor communities that were the most vulnerable, I sarcastically questioned what those that blame the DA would have to say, if the DA did lock poor communities down in their townships good and proper.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Perhaps here we have a direct link between high us/uk death rate due to high sugar intake, as well as why obese and diabetic people are the most likely to die.
Another extract
What is unusual is that when I talked to physicians around the country taking care of COVID-19 patients, they told me that a lot of their patients in the hospital not only had diabetes and prediabetes but others had high blood sugar, without being aware of it.
Its not so much about sugar/carb intake at all really as some folks can down a 2L coke and eat a whole chocolate cake and there blood sugar wont budge.
Its really just whether or not your HBA1C is elevated above normal levels.
The test itself provides an average indication of a persons blood sugar over a 3 to 4 months period. If levels are 'consistently' elevated it effectively makes one pre-diabetic or insulin resistant and action needs to be taken with changing diet and increasing excercise to mitigate the above.

Typically all diabetics have a higher than normal HBA1C, physicians try and get patients to be in the 5-8 range, certainly below 10, normal is 5 ish.

Pre-diabetics or insulin resistant folks will be in the elevated sort of range without being none the wiser.

edit: consistently

Last edited:

Temujin

Executive Member
4pm tomorrow the president will address the nation and change everything cr said yesterday

Temujin

Executive Member
An interesting scientific article that deals with the link between blood sugar levels and the severity of flu (and by extension, covid).

Perhaps here we have a direct link between high us/uk death rate due to high sugar intake, as well as why obese and diabetic people are the most likely to die.
Best NDZ starts banning everything... you know, health reasons and all

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sigh people now are saying we should only start looking at opening up when we hit the peak and plateau. How the freak is that supposed to happen if everyone is locked away?

Tun@

Expert Member
AngloGold Ashanti said it had finalised testing of employees at its Mponeng mine that showed a third of workers were infected with the coronavirus.
AngloGold said it had completed the testing of 651 people and 196 had tested positive.
“In the vast majority of these cases, the individuals were asymptomatic, with the balance showing very mild symptoms,”

rietrot

Honorary Master
Sigh people now are saying we should only start looking at opening up when we hit the peak and plateau. How the freak is that supposed to happen if everyone is locked away?
It will still happen, because the lockdown isn't effective.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
I had a very scary thought this morning. Woken up at 2 am by mosquitoes as the neighbors doing what sounded like major home improvements, my brain was doing its own thing. I wondered whether the plan of the ANC lot wasn't to destroy the economy on purpose. That way once the virus is over they could use the DMA to declare a new emergency to "fix the economy" and "help the people out of poverty". I wouldn't put it past them, to be honest.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I had a very scary thought this morning. Woken up at 2 am by mosquitoes as the neighbors doing what sounded like major home improvements, my brain was doing its own thing. I wondered whether the plan of the ANC lot wasn't to destroy the economy on purpose. That way once the virus is over they could use the DMA to declare a new emergency to "fix the economy" and "help the people out of poverty". I wouldn't put it past them, to be honest.
Yep it does seem possible, and others have voiced similar here in recent weeks.

Perhaps one of the main issues that first led to that being considered, and ignited if it has happened was when they realised just how too far over the edge their comrades had already pushed the economy with their thieving.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I hope when air travel resumes they ONLY allow SAA to operate, saying they are the only government approved airline adhering to the unpublished air travel regulations...

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
AngloGold Ashanti said it had finalised testing of employees at its Mponeng mine that showed a third of workers were infected with the coronavirus.
AngloGold said it had completed the testing of 651 people and 196 had tested positive.
“In the vast majority of these cases, the individuals were asymptomatic, with the balance showing very mild symptoms,”

I am unable to read the article because it is paywalled, but the BBC posted a story with a different spin:

There are multiple different issues here:
1. Did the miners pick up such a high rate of infection in the community, or in the mine hostels?
2. Is it worth shutting down the mine when so many have minor symptoms?
3. How does government envisage operations resuming under these constraints?
4. Does this very high incidence provide scientific data, like the closed environments of the cruise-ships?
5. Does this count as a hot-spot, with a very high incidence, though not in a Metro?

3WA

Executive Member
An interesting scientific article that deals with the link between blood sugar levels and the severity of flu (and by extension, covid).

So now I need to go into ketosis just when beer is about to become available.

Paulsie

So now I need to go into ketosis just when beer is about to become available.
Just stick to hard liquor, you can't drink two bottles at a time. Everything in moderation remember? One should do you just fine.

Paulsie

The NCCC have some serious talent they some created a lockdown that was the world's most draconian and somehow the world's most porous lockdown at the same time.
Also the world's first reopening at the start of the significant growth of infection. Not complaining, just saying..