South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Kodi

daveza

Honorary Master
Cape Talk reported that Ramaphosa and Mkhize were given permisson to be vaccinated ahead of heath workers

What I wasn't aware of is that dozens of MP's also requested to be included in the first rollout - this was turned down by the regulators.

Apparently, according to the report, health unions also wanted their staff included - also turned down by regulators..

The only other source I can find is pay walled - are there any others ?

MiW

Expert Member
Hope they get this right with the vaccine manufacturers and we see more private companies follow
But, but, but the government said that they already have everyone covered. It's just that is highly confidentials and we don't need to know who/what/where/when...

Paulsie

Expert Member
Hope they get this right with the vaccine manufacturers and we see more private companies follow
Never mind manufacturers. It will be interesting to see how they go about obtaining import permits for this, outside the scope of government.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Never mind manufacturers. It will be interesting to see how they go about obtaining import permits for this, outside the scope of government.
J&J Vax going to be manufactured in EC from the 2nd half of this year according to Squirrel

neoprema

Executive Member
I'm seeing headlines on the Net that WHO has said the AstraZeneca vaccine should continue to be used even with our results on low efficacy against our strain as it does still offer protection.

with that in mind why are we so intent on not using it and trying to sell/trade it?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I guess govt needs to create a show for the plebeian public to admire.
Think blue light brigade.
He did another delivery of vaccines today, still with police convoy but this time the roads weren't closed, looks like you were right the roads were closed yesterday as theatre for the plebs.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I'm seeing headlines on the Net that WHO has said the AstraZeneca vaccine should continue to be used even with our results on low efficacy against our strain as it does still offer protection.

with that in mind why are we so intent on not using it and trying to sell/trade it?

Don't look for simple or rational explanations in the SA vaccine rollout. Its probably a mix of public perceptions of 'failure', and nursing union pushback. The Indian AZ expiry date issue was also a trigger point, having to juggle twin doses, compared to a single dose for J&J.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
The Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE generates robust immunity after one dose and can be stored in ordinary freezers instead of at ultracold temperatures, according to new research and data released by the companies.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

So all that -70C stuff was just hype (or being ultra cautious!?) We should definitely expect to understand more about real-world vaccine effectiveness and doses in the next few months (clinical trials can never tell the whole story).

Edit: A few more details here:
BioNTech has said it imposed long-term storage and transportation requirements of -70 degrees out of caution because it had started stability and durability tests on its vaccine relatively late.

Even though it launched its COVID-19 vaccine development programme as early as January 2020, working on four compounds in parallel, it did not decide until July which of the four to proceed with, and only then started stability tests.

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
So all that -70C stuff was just hype (or being ultra cautious!?) We should definitely expect to understand more about real-world vaccine effectiveness and doses in the next few months (clinical trials can never tell the whole story).

Probably used as ploy to drain the yanks of maximum amount of money possible.

R13...

Honorary Master

Looks like caution in the absence of sufficient information. Same as what they say about expiries where they err on the side of caution until they know better.

Grant

Honorary Master
Looks like caution in the absence of sufficient information. Same as what they say about expiries where they err on the side of caution until they know better.
It's a massive "err" if that is the case.
For my part, although on the J&J vaccine trial, my choice of vaccine would probably have been Pfizer - we're it not the temperature constraints and concerns regarding the cold chain being maintained locally.

neoprema

Executive Member
So looks like the Governthieves are stuffing up even the healthcare workers vaccine lol.

If they don't rope in the private sector ASAP we're all doomed.