South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

nivek

Executive Member

Shame, melt downs all round at SAHPRA hq

I'm quite proud of our president telling them to get ****ed and going full steam with the vaccine roll out

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

I'm quite proud of our president telling them to get ****ed and going full steam with the vaccine roll out
SAHPRA is so bereft of credibility that the whole lot should be sacked.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Procedurally I would agree with SAHPRA. You all may be happy to see SAHPRA being sent on their way, but we are in this position due to the ANC’s incompetence.

Just because we are rolling on, the SANDF will and have probably already taken notice that their Heberon import may also steam roll on. Keeping to the political standards.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Quoting the IOL article, how many politicians was vaccinated?

"We know there was a protocol deviation application to include the president and his deputy, but now we understand that even administrative secretaries have been vaccinated.

MiW

Expert Member

The Independent Media reported three weeks ago that there was a tussle between President Cyril Ramaphosa and Health Minister Zweli Mkhize over what is seen favouring the Johnson & Johnson vaccine over other vaccines.

Mkhize preferred the Russian vaccine Sputnik for South Africa, while Ramaphosa wanted the American Johnson & Johnson.

nivek

Executive Member
Procedurally I would agree with SAHPRA. You all may be happy to see SAHPRA being sent on their way, but we are in this position due to the ANC’s incompetence.

Just because we are rolling on, the SANDF will and have probably already taken notice that their Heberon import may also steam roll on. Keeping to the political standards.

As of today - how many vaccines have SAHPRA approved?

nivek

Executive Member

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
They've been reviewing J&J and Pfizer since at least the 22nd Jan
Well, I'm assuming the 22nd Jan, we can't know for sure because they don't put dates on their statements:rolleyes:

This document is dated January 25th,

Capture.PNG

noting the IOL article, the point being made by SAHPRA is that the President is misleading the public on this being an approved rollout. J&J is still in phase 3B clinical trial, meaning that a drug that is still under review is in rollout. This comes down to the presidency overruling SAHPRA, not respecting the process which is in agreement with J&J, but we all know this is due to AstraZeneca not being suitable. I don't necessarily trust on how IOL reports, but it seems to be that SAHPRA's board members are in separate minds about this matter perhaps due to a higher instruction. This quoted below is important to take under consideration,

Rees responded: "There is good phase 3B safety and efficacy data on J & J, including from SA. The reason it's a 3B study is that the first vaccines are a donation from J & J and were manufactured for the phase 3B trial so the manufacturer wanted these doses to be given out as part of an open-label phase 3B study. We will generate more safety and efficacy data by doing this in the context of our variant."

it does question whether this donation is suitable to vaccinate against the 501.V2 variant. It was also not only applied to healthcare workers, but also to the president and deputy president and whomever were designated as administrative secretaries which was a clear deviation regarding protocol. Reading into other news, J&J is being piloted here.

A second person who also attended the meeting asked whether Johnson & Johnson had applied for a protocol deviation to include just frontline healthcare workers.

So... did J&J know that their donations would have been used to vaccinate the above mentioned individuals, and did they know it was going to be rolled out as our 1st phase?

Looking at the other vaccines, ironically AstraZeneca was approved in urgency on someone’s instruction, my best guess being that SAHPRA don't want to be caught in the same situation.

Sputnik V is also currently under review, as submitted on February 24th.

Just to add, the FDA only approved J&J yesterday.

neoprema

Executive Member
Why is Madhi coming along now saying the vaccines won't help our herd immunity?

They're showing efficacy in other parts of the world?