South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Why is Madhi coming along now saying the vaccines won't help our herd immunity?

They're showing efficacy in other parts of the world?
Is this a new interview that he has participated in?

I have the view that we will only achieve something like herd immunity IF we immunise fast and everyone in an area at the same time. This creepy-crawly approach the govt is following is only going to trigger the virus to mutate and then there will be plenty just about everywhere in the country that will get the new variant.
We have already seen how the current variant took hold and how fast and that having had Covid 19 before hardly helps at all with preventing getting it again. So, if that is what he is referring to then yes he is right.

Last edited:
Is this a new interview that he has participated in?

I have the view that we will only achieve something like herd immunity IF we immunise fast and everyone in an area at the same time. This creepy-crawly approach the govt is following if only going to trigger the virus to mutate and then there will be plenty just about everywhere in the country that will get the new variant.
We have already seen how the current variant took hold and how fast and that having had Covid 19 before hardly helps at all with preventing getting it again. So, if that is what he is referring to then yes he is right.

Here is the relevant news article: https://www.news24.com/news24/south...ination-drive-says-prof-shabir-madhi-20210301

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Today I get to give myself a covid test.

Yup, diy nasopharyngeal swab.

I can't ****en wait

P924

Expert Member
Don't worry, they won't vaccinate fast enough to even affect the mutations...

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Subscribers only, but headline says it all. Borderline criminal, but didn't fit the government agenda. Could have used the AZ vaccine for the elderly, instead of healthcare workers.

Excalibur

Executive Member
"The J&J vaccine that we are administering we store it here."

- Deputy President Mabuza.

Do you think it was wise to make this statement from a security point of view?

Jetty

Subscribers only, but headline says it all. Borderline criminal, but didn't fit the government agenda. Could have used the AZ vaccine for the elderly, instead of healthcare workers.

Can't continue with the suspension of the constitution if people are no longer dying and hospitals are no longer full.