South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

flytek

Let me make another prediction in case this time someone actually pops a vein.
There will be no third wave after Easter as all those people in the country likely to catch the recent variant have already had it or are immune enough not to get it or as a group the virus can no longer effectively accelerate the size of the infected population in South Africa. All those people gathering for easter also gathered for Christmas and new year when there actually was far less immunity. Those gathering at this mass gathering some are panicking about are also those typically living in denser less socially distances environments. They would have had it already if they were going to get it in the main. Some may get it and take it home where the virus will die out like it is everywhere else in the country due to enough immunity againsts the current and previous strains. The downward trajectory is done...its just the tiny bottom of the curve of infections that is left of the current strain. Largely it has infected who it could and very little will change that besides a mutation of some sort.

Last edited:

Paulsie

Expert Member
Feel like I'm repeating myself here. I don't care about what level they choose to call the restrictions.

The gatherings should not be allowed at all and in order to facilitate this, and peoples fatigue/**** you attitude/lack of enforcement, just stop intra provincial travel again for this period.
Are we still on the "lockdowns stop covid" bandwagon?

Paulsie

Expert Member
A few million from each province, all gathering in one place, no masks, no social distancing, singing,....

Then they all come back home and back to the workplace.

What could possibly go wrong.
Florida??

Arzy

Honorary Master
Are we still on the "lockdowns stop covid" bandwagon?
More a case of enforcing common sense. We don't even need to call it a lockdown if it makes you feel better.

Simply allowing 5m+ people to traverse the country and gather for the hell of it is a bad idea for everyone else.

Lupus

Honorary Master
More a case of enforcing common sense. We don't even need to call it a lockdown if it makes you feel better.

Simply allowing 5m+ people to traverse the country and gather for the hell of it is a bad idea for everyone else.
Even at level 1 this is technically not allowed, so how would increasing the level help?
Level 2 allowed provincial travel I went to Durban during it.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Even at level 1 this is technically not allowed, so how would increasing the level help?
Level 2 allowed provincial travel I went to Durban during it.
Just going to quote myself in response to you earlier again:

I agree that fatigue has set in and I also stated that a simple move from level 1 to 2 won't achieve anything.

I further stated that we need to block people moving around and stop gatherings. These have nothing to do with levels or fatigue or limiting the number of people at places. My proposal is to block them completely for this period, they simply aren't allowed, so fatigue has got nothing to do with it.

MiW

Expert Member

Paulsie

Expert Member

So when is this thing actually going to end? Once everyone has been vaccinated? According to the UK dept of health, not quite. Only once the whole world has been vaccinated and even then only maybe.
Is it me or is it just becoming increasingly acceptable that social distancing is here to stay forever???

Lupus

Honorary Master
So when is this thing actually going to end? Once everyone has been vaccinated? According to the UK dept of health, not quite. Only once the whole world has been vaccinated and even then only maybe.
Is it me or is it just becoming increasingly acceptable that social distancing is here to stay forever???
It won't, masks are going to stay apparently and so is distancing. Countries that rely on tourism are going to start feeling the pinch.

Paulsie

Expert Member
It won't, masks are going to stay apparently and so is distancing. Countries that rely on tourism are going to start feeling the pinch.
Not those which are in control of the global narrative, ie the US, UK and EU. They are in charge of printing their own money so can keep their helicopter money (aka bailouts, furlough schemes, assistance funds etc) going indefinitely

The ministerial advisory committee on Covid-19 also recommended an earlier evening curfew to delay a third wave of infections that could begin as soon as the middle of April. They expect it will be drastically worse than the second wave, with as many as 25% more hospital admissions.

Based on what?

Delaying the next surge in coronavirus infections would buy more time to prepare the health system and vaccinate vulnerable people, said committee member Ian Sanne.

The health system has had a year...FFS.

R13...

Honorary Master

Based on what?

The health system has had a year...FFS.
Yeah they're pulling the predictions out the rear. The previous wave was fuelled by the mutation. I imagine any new wave will be at least as bad but most likely less as people are more likely to be careful now that they've seen the impact. But the biggest impact will be immunity from the previous wave.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah they're pulling the predictions out the rear. The previous wave was fuelled by the mutation. I imagine any new wave will be at least as bad but most likely less as people are more likely to be careful now that they've seen the impact. But the biggest impact will be immunity from the previous wave.
The mythical third wave, it's coming and now it's going to be worse somehow? Did they find a new mutation? Which is why the 2nd wave was so bad?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The mythical third wave, it's coming and now it's going to be worse somehow? Did they find a new mutation? Which is why the 2nd wave was so bad?
Two days ago, the experts said they were checking for new mutations in the flare ups in the two provinces.
This time around there is much more certainty that a resurgence will happen as we enter winter.
BUT the motive behind the latest call is looking for justification to extend the SoD.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Two days ago, the experts said they were checking for new mutations in the flare ups in the two provinces.
This time around there is much more certainty that a resurgence will happen as we enter winter.
BUT the motive behind the latest call is looking for justification to extend the SoD.
It does seem like they are looking for a reason, I mean the fact that positivity rate is below 5% for quite sometime doesn't seem to mean much, but there must be a third wave. Honestly if there is one, I don't think it's going to be like the 2nd, what was mainly due to the new variant that was very very virulent.