South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Lupus

Honorary Master
There is no "FINALLY stop this" virus. It is here to stay. And we as a species either adapt or not. The vaccines (all of them) hopefully get us all to a point where our immune system can handle it or not. The virus is here to stay.
Sad reality is the virus has actually been around longer, we're just hitting a variant we've not seen before. What's stopping the next one or the next one? Are we going to freeze the world every time?

Radioboy

There is no "FINALLY stop this" virus. It is here to stay. And we as a species either adapt or not. The vaccines (all of them) hopefully get us all to a point where our immune system can handle it or not. The virus is here to stay.
You don't know this.

We have pretty much eradicated viruses before.

Hopefully, if we can't eradicate Covid we can manage it, with medication etc.

Radioboy

Sad reality is the virus has actually been around longer, we're just hitting a variant we've not seen before. What's stopping the next one or the next one? Are we going to freeze the world every time?
I'm not too hopeful, but, maybe the powers that be (not talking about our government alone) will be will be better prepared next time around.

I don't think anyone was prepared for something, this serious, jumping species and causing a worldwide pandemic. If Covid was indeed caused by the eating habits in the east - hopefully something can be done to prevent something like this in future.

But, like I said - not filled with hope.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The only problem with your "burn through" theory are the mutations / variants. Using this logic, the common flu virus should have been "burnt through" decades ago. Some of the mutations are not stopped by antibodies from prior infections.

The only way to FINALLY stop this, is to get people vacinated against the prevailing variants and to stop further mutations.
I really feel sorry for people who think this vaccine is the holy grail.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
There is no holy grail in medicine - but It's all we have at this point.
That's the problem right there. The thing is, it isn't.

When the response to this disease includes a push towards changing peoples' habits to become healthier, which is a proven way to lessen the impact of this (and lots of other) disease, we can include this vaccine for people at risk who cannot make a lifestyle change, like people over 75.

As you correctly pointed out, the disease is here to stay. Why should I put some unproven experimental medicine in my body, when being healthy and getting the disease has the same nett effect?

Markd

Expert Member
View attachment 1048253

Example the UK, still got over 300k active cases and still hitting 3000 new cases a day? They are vaccinating yet with a similar sized population, supposedly more intelligent population they are higher then us in all regards?

I think it was the Discovery CEO who said that judging by our excess deaths, they estimated that up to 50% of the population had got COVID. That was a while ago. And if you need to hit 60% for 'herd immunity' (is that the correct figure?) then maybe we're in the clear for our existing variants?

As far as the UK is concerned, their rate of infection is down though. 3k cases per day versus 5/6k recently. So its way bigger but going in the right direction.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think it was the Discovery CEO who said that judging by our excess deaths, they estimated that up to 50% of the population had got COVID. That was a while ago. And if you need to hit 60% for 'herd immunity' (is that the correct figure?) then maybe we're in the clear for our existing variants?

As far as the UK is concerned, their rate of infection is down though. 3k cases per day versus 5/6k recently. So its way bigger but going in the right direction.
You also need to understand how prevalent testing is here. As a household with a child or vulnerable person in your bubbles you can get a pack of 7 lateral flow tests posted to you every day.

Radioboy

That's the problem right there. The thing is, it isn't.

When the response to this disease includes a push towards changing peoples' habits to become healthier, which is a proven way to lessen the impact of this (and lots of other) disease, we can include this vaccine for people at risk who cannot make a lifestyle change, like people over 75.

As you correctly pointed out, the disease is here to stay. Why should I put some unproven experimental medicine in my body, when being healthy and getting the disease has the same nett effect?
I'm all for healthier habits ( might put me outa business) - but, good luck with that. Its 2021 and we still have people smoking and refusing to wear condoms....

Paulsie

Expert Member
I'm all for healthier habits ( might put me outa business) - but, good luck with that. Its 2021 and we still have people smoking and refusing to wear condoms....
The 3 biggest sugar producers and consumers in the world are the US, India and Brazil. Coincidence??

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
96 seems rather low for someone healthy and out jogging all the time.
You should be concerned at anything under 93.
You should be on supplementary oxygen at 90.

Important update: Pulse oximeters are inaccurate on those with darker skin, so that absolute values are less inportant than downward trends:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You don't know this.

We have pretty much eradicated viruses before.

Hopefully, if we can't eradicate Covid we can manage it, with medication etc.
Name a few "viruses" we have "eradicated".
The best we can ever hope for with coronaviruses is to be able to "manage" the symptoms and help the immune system along with medication such as the much-maligned IVM.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The best we can ever hope for with coronaviruses is to be able to "manage" the symptoms and help the immune system along with medication such as the much-maligned IVM.
Smallpox has been eradicated, polio is under control, it's not eradicated as it still flares up now and again. So yeah smallpox :)

Radioboy

Smallpox in humans and Rinderpest in animals has been wiped out. Polio is on the verge as atleast two of the strains has been declared eradicated.
Rubbish! You clearly have bought into the hype.
As a physician on the front line since the outbreak began - I have nothing to be hyped about. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to form an opinion based on science instead of being a rebel on the internet.