South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Smallpox in humans and Rinderpest in animals has been wiped out. Polio is on the verge as atleast two of the strains has been declared eradicated.

As a physician on the front line since the outbreak began - I have nothing to be hyped about. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to form an opinion based on science instead of being a rebel on the internet.
And how many decades has that taken? The comparison to coronavirus is thus really ridiculous to even start thinking it will be eradicated just because a few vaccines have been developed and are largely still untested and "untried".

Radioboy

And how many decades has that taken? The comparison to coronavirus is thus really ridiculous to even start thinking it will be eradicated just because a few vaccines have been developed and are largely still untested and "untried".
I started to answer your question, but then I realized it doesn't really matter how many peer reviewed journals I throw at you - you will just respond with more "pseudo-gotcha" questions. The literature is out there to answer your questions if you chose to find them.

Anyway, keep safe & stay well.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I started to answer your question, but then I realized it doesn't really matter how many peer reviewed journals I throw at you - you will just respond with more "pseudo-gotcha" questions. The literature is out there to answer your questions if you chose to find them.

Anyway, keep safe & stay well.
Sure, another slave of the peer review, double blind study brigade.
And as a doctor, you should rather be commenting on the real stuff that matters, which is how are you treating patients, what have you found that works, what medications are given for what aspects of the infection etc.
Instead, you come in and post some rubbish about finally mastering this virus and rave about its eradication in the midst of evidence all over the world of mutations and continued resurgences.

Besides the fact that your response is fallacious.
An Appeal to Authority without substance or clear references is worth absolutely nothing. On the contrary, there are dozens of discussions going on about whether SARS-COV-2 can be eradicated and how soon.
The current consensus seems to be that the "best" we can hope for is that the virus will become endemic, with reduced serious infections and fatalities. No credible source is prepared to venture a timeline.

So your claim that there are peer-reviewed studies and research available to back up your eradication claim is fallacious.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
For those that detest wading through youtube videos looking for those that are useful, reliable and factual, there is a research report that can be READ and downloaded.

The link:

The Conclusion:

Conclusion
In these eight Peruvian State analyses, Ivermectin distributions preceded sound reductions in
excess deaths and case fatality rate (CFR). The variation in the number of detected cases nor
the vulnerable population decrease can explain this reduction. Other possible explanations,
such as cross-immunity with dengue, or mere causality, have been discarded due to their lack
of consistency in this study.
Treatment with ivermectin is the most reasonable explanation for the decrease in number of
deaths and fatality rate in Peru.
Its implementation in public policies is a highly effective
measure to reduce the excess deaths and IFR of COVID-19.

Daveogg

Expert Member
October 2020.
Seems Ivermectin used to work in Peru, but for some reason it's stopped working?

Or possibly the "research" and "conclusion" was a little premature.

Seems India's use of Ivermectin is equally as useless.

Good luck.

The analysis raises fresh questions about the evidence being relied on to support bans on alcohol sales and what should be done next.

The data analysis, led by independent data expert Ian McGorian of Silver Fox Consulting, in collaboration with Professor Mike Murray from the University of KwaZulu-Natal School of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science and with financial support from Distell, examined publicly available data sources to dig into the numbers behind the headlines. The analysis was peer reviewed by Professor Graham Barr, Emeritus Professor in the department of Statistical Sciences at the University of Cape Town.

Key findings included:

• Trauma cases in SA under lockdown dropped 60%. Other countries without an alcohol ban also experienced a similar phenomenon, including the UK (-57%), Ireland (-62%), Italy (-56.6%) and USA (-54%), raising questions about the efficacy of bans on alcohol.
• Alcohol is often cited as the leading factor in violent crime, but the SAPS Annual Report 2019-2020 shows that alcohol is confirmed in a small percentage of cases: 5.4% of sexual offences, 5.3% of assaults, 6.7% of murders, 6.9% of attempted murders and 11.9% of assault Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH).
• South Africa ranks 56th in the world for alcohol consumption per capita according to the World Health Organisation 2018 report, suggesting the country is not an outlier for alcohol consumption on a global scale.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Don't look for evidence, we were told that the alcohol ban keeps the casualties empty. Not the curfew or the lockdown, but the alcohol ban.

MiW

Expert Member
October 2020.
Seems Ivermectin used to work in Peru, but for some reason it's stopped working?

Good luck.
That ^

dualmeister

Honorary Master
What percentage of the population are responsible for the causing the problems?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
October 2020.

Good luck.
So have you got an update on what has happened in Peru? and why do you say it has stopped working?
Have the CFRs and the IFRs increased again?

Don't look for evidence, we were told that the alcohol ban keeps the casualties empty. Not the curfew or the lockdown, but the alcohol ban.

Obviously, we ourselves need to be sceptical of a study sponsored by the industry, but there does seem solid evidence that other policies were more effective as they have used a range of countries in their analysis.

MiW

Expert Member
@MiW @Geoff.D Many of the ivermectin studies are flawed & even WHO's conclusion on ivermectin is suspicious(watch the video below).

Look each to their own. I can clearly see that some studies are being manipulated & underestimate the potential ivermectin has in treating covid.

I promise I will shut the hell up in this thread, if you are open minded enough to watch this video.

Dr Tess is a highly respected researcher & has worked alongside WHO & NIH.
Exactly because the studies are flawed and contradicting, I am looking at the country where its impossible to find 10 people which didn't use ivermectin, and checking their stats.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Exactly because the studies are flawed and contradicting, I am looking at the country where its impossible to find 10 people which didn't use ivermectin, and checking their stats.
The issue is the confusion between taking any drug X to "prevent" an infection and taking drug X to "treat" an infection and limit hospitalisation and death.

You have to read the studies pretty thoroughly to determine IF the researchers have understood the difference between "prevention", "treatment" and even "cure".

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
@MiW @Geoff.D Many of the ivermectin studies are flawed & even WHO's conclusion on ivermectin is suspicious(watch the video below).

Look each to their own. I can clearly see that some studies are being manipulated & underestimate the potential ivermectin has in treating covid.

I promise I will shut the hell up in this thread, if you are open minded enough to watch this video.

Dr Tess is a highly respected researcher & has worked alongside WHO & NIH.
And no, I am not going to watch a random video on youtube to try and challenge your view on how "open-minded" you think I am. If you read the IVM threads you will quickly see how resistant I have been to the idea that IVM does not work, just because some think the studies are flawed etc.

I have continually pushed to "leave it to the doctors" and NOT impose some or other BS ruling based on an approval process and claims of drugs being "illegal" for use in humans, as a justification for preventing doctors from using their skills to treat patients.

Polymathic

Honorary Master