South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
As an aside, anyone else noticed how quiet our MAC has become after the change in the Chairmanship?
It is as if the whole official process and the scientific team have simply dropped off the edge of the earth.

Lupus

Honorary Master
As an aside, anyone else noticed how quiet our MAC has become after the change in the Chairmanship?
It is as if the whole official process and the scientific team have simply dropped off the edge of the earth.
They weren't being listened to anyway, so what difference did it make?

sand_man

Honorary Master

They hard at work coordinating the vaccine rollout. You know, the one where 0 people have been vaccinated since the 12th of April?

We seriously must have the most inept gov in the world?

R13...

Honorary Master
I really hope government allows medical aid schemes to co-ordinate their own Vaccine Centres
But medical aids don't have staff who can vaccinate or even facilities. Why would they set up infrastructure for single use?

Leno

Expert Member
But medical aids don't have staff who can vaccinate or even facilities. Why would they set up infrastructure for single use?

from discovery email this week:

WHERE WILL I GET MY VACCINATION?

Vaccines will be administered in accredited vaccination sites across the country, including pharmacies, GP practices, hospitals, and dedicated vaccination sites. Discovery is setting up several dedicated vaccination sites for your convenience, and we will share the location details with you early in May.

edit: their bolding

dualmeister

Honorary Master
According to the news on the radio the "experts" predict that our third wave will start mid May and will be 25% worse that the second wave :cautious:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
According to the news on the radio the "experts" predict that our third wave will start mid May and will be 25% worse that the second wave :cautious:
The third wave will become so obvious then that it will no longer possible to deny it. The third wave has already started.

flytek

The third wave will become so obvious then that it will no longer possible to deny it. The third wave has already started.
Please substantiate this claim you keep making that no data anyone else has access to seems to support? This is not the first time i've asked...
Is the third wave in SA just a figment of your imagination or do you have data to back your claim?

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Please substantiate this claim you keep making that no data anyone else has access to seems to support? This is not the first time i've asked...
Is the third wave in SA just a figment of your imagination or do you have data to back your claim?
I think he's being sarcastic :cool:

There are early signs that the Northern Cape, Free State and the North West are experiencing an sustained increase in infections for the past week or so. Obviously, because they are provinces with a low population, the overall SA case numbers are still low, but these three provinces are now recording more cases per day than a big province like the Western Cape (6m).

MiW

Expert Member
There are early signs that the Northern Cape, Free State and the North West are experiencing an sustained increase in infections for the past week or so. Obviously, because they are provinces with a low population, the overall SA case numbers are still low, but these three provinces are now recording more cases per day than a big province like the Western Cape (6m).
1619258634050.png

SoldierMan

Executive Member
The US government doing it's best to make big pharma rich and make it's population unhealthy as usual.

St. Louis County chiropractor first in US charged under new COVID-19 act
The FTC said Eric Nepute and his company baselessly claimed Wellness Warrior products with vitamin D and zinc were scientifically proven to treat or prevent COVID-19

In the mean time.

Over 100 Scientists, Doctors, & Leading Authorities Call For Increased Vitamin D Use To Combat COVID-19
Here’s the Open Letter on Vitamin D and Covid-19. Over 100 physicians, researchers, and other experts signed a statement asking that ALL Adults take:

* 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 every day for 2 to 3 weeks
* And then take 4,000 IU of vitamin D3 every day continuously (or at least until the pandemic is over)

flytek

Looking at those areas with higher positivity rates I would say they travelled from low population areas over easter and then returned. Some with covid. However the rate of climb does not appear to be accelerating and I suspect will plateau and decrease soon rather than being a 'third wave'. I guess we'll see how that data pans out over a couple more weeks. Nice data point those positivity rates.