South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Brawler

Honorary Master
WC DoH has improved their dashboard to include a live alert/resurgence page.
1620309202337.png

Very nice.

Meanwhile other provinces are still capturing covid cases into Excel...

neoprema

Executive Member
So now Tedros is back on the news claiming Africa is gonna see a wave like India thats gonna wipe-out millions of the population...

I'm so confused, how is it COVID-19 just sat for over a year and now suddenly its coming to kill? (i mean as in with apocalyptic numbers)

Lupus

Honorary Master
So now Tedros is back on the news claiming Africa is gonna see a wave like India thats gonna wipe-out millions of the population...

I'm so confused, how is it COVID-19 just sat for over a year and now suddenly its coming to kill? (i mean as in with apocalyptic numbers)
Considering how big India is and they haven't even hit half a million. This just sounds like someone on the scare train.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Considering how big India is and they haven't even hit half a million. This just sounds like someone on the scare train.
Far more concerning is the WHO is starting to talk about the slow progress in vaccinations triggering the emergence of super resistant variants/strains.
Remember when many on this forum declared this possibility as "fake news" ridiculing the scientist/s warning against this?
And attacking anyone who posted links to those reports?

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Far more concerning is the WHO is starting to talk about the slow progress in vaccinations triggering the emergence of super resistant variants/strains.
Remember when many on this forum declared this possibility as "fake news" ridiculing the scientist/a warning against this?
And a tracking anyone who posted links to those reports?
The WHO has lost a lot of credibility at the moment to be honest. Positivity is on the rise as temps drop by the looks of it, sitting at an average of 6% now compared to the 4 to 5% in March/April

animal531

Expert Member
The WHO has lost a lot of credibility at the moment to be honest. Positivity is on the rise as temps drop by the looks of it, sitting at an average of 6% now compared to the 4 to 5% in March/April

WHO has always been useless.

There's been a lot of studies on temp now. From what I can gather from those temp only plays a small role in variance, but we seem to have learned that UV plays a pretty big role in killing airborne particles. Either way winter/colder areas seem to be affected worse. In India (apart from their variant) we might pick up secondary issues such as population density and the extremely poor conditions.

flytek

Our last gigantic peak was at the height of summer. I think other factors such as the immunity of the population play a much bigger role than anything else.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Temperature plays a big role, because temperature affects human behaviour. The colder it gets the more people stay indoors and huddle together in poorly ventilated homes etc. The easier the virus spreads. So I would be interested in some links to the research done to understand what was investigated.

Last edited:
Temperature plays a big role, because temperature affects human behaviour. The colder it gets the more people stay indoors and huddle together in poorly ventilated homes etc. The easier the virus spreads. So with would be interested in some links to the research done to understand what was investigated.

I'm doubtful of that thesis as SA had its 2nd wave during the height of summer.

flytek

This is called clutching at straws.
While you're at it please provide some solid evidence of the third wave you claim started weeks ago?
The other waves were very noticeable after a few weeks where so far this one you claim exists isn't?

third.jpg

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This is called clutching at straws.
While you're at it please provide some solid evidence of the third wave you claim started weeks ago?
The other waves were very noticeable after a few weeks where so far this one you claim exists isn't?

View attachment 1064441
As a small clue, look at the improved dashboard WC is now using. Better stats and superior insightful analysis shows when the resurgence started. And besides, by now we know how long it takes in SA from the start of a wave before the numbers show the increase. That is if anyone bothers to truly understand the maths behind the Rt formula.
And then, don't even start me off on the "averaging" that takes place when looking at the SA figures compared to the Provincial and worse, when looking at district/area data.

flytek

I see that resurgence monitor...its going up and down like a yoyo probably depending on number of tests which literally means bugger all as you know.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The Zulu Queen successor super spreader event on national TV!
What a bunch of brainless dumb ass idiots!