South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Lupus

Honorary Master
The insanity of citizens begging for their constitutionally guaranteed rights to be usurped.

**** me.
The great fear is still there, it still seems people think if you get this it'll kill you or you'll feel like death.
Statistically it's still low for either of those, but a few stories from others will instill this fear in people, it's human nature and we suck at numbers.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I see Prof Karrim has found his voice again.
Tired of the silence and incompetence of the new MAC chair stooge now in place?

He says he is more worried about a new SA variant than an imported variant.

What does he know that the govt is keeping from the public?
The first sign of a useless vaccination strategy triggered mutation?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Of course it is a trend. It happens once a week, after the weekend. A typical measurement artefact.
The virus never infects anyone over the weekend. The virus only works a 5-day week.
Yup the weekend effect :).

quovadis

Executive Member
Like it's ok for the government to eavesdrop on your cell phone, cause if you have nothing to hide then it doesn't matter.

The attitudes in this country towards civil liberties distresses and saddens me.
Yeah I'm not sure how you draw parallels between eavesdropping on cellphones and pandemic measures.

quovadis

Executive Member
Of course it is a trend. It happens once a week, after the weekend. A typical measurement artefact.
The virus never infects anyone over the weekend. The virus only works a 5-day week.

Yup the weekend effect :).

I see the there's a lack of critical thinking. Labs don't operate at full capacity over weekend periods and like all humans alot has to do with the pace of a work week and human nature in terms of seeking assistance or testing.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Yeah I'm not sure how you draw parallels between eavesdropping on cellphones and pandemic measures.
An example isn't a parallel. Jesus.

Your asinine stance on civil liberties and your constitutional rights regarding the crackdown measures are as asinine as those who think it's ok to have the government spy on you if "you have nothing to hide".

The parallel is your attitude regarding the essence of being human.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I see the there's a lack of critical thinking. Labs don't operate at full capacity over weekend periods and like all humans alot has to do with the pace of a work week and human nature in terms of seeking assistance or testing.
Yes, which is why it would be called the weekend effect... Where is the lack of critical thinking?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
You exactly describe what the other bloke termed the weekend effect. So where does the quip about lacking critical thinking come in? Are you the one displaying that?

nivek

Executive Member
A super spreader event in the making! Luckily they will hopefully all be vaccinated so the virus if present won't spread to everyone.
If they get vaccinated and catch the virus on the same day the vaccine isn't going to do anything to save them

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If they get vaccinated and catch the virus on the same day the vaccine isn't going to do anything to save them
Can't do sarcasm italics on this useless tablet. It was a sarcastic comment aimed at all who believe vaccines guarantee immunity from being infected and stop transmission.
My view confirmed today in an interview on TV with a doctor BTW before the nuts arrive on the thread.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Nice!

We might even be able to overtake Sierra Leone or Guinea in vaccinations in the next 6 months.
View attachment 1066495
Truly blessed with the anc in charge.
The local GP took his staff to get vaccinated at one of the Durban hospitals on Monday. They went there at 4:30 in the morning and was 250th in line.

They basically had to wait the entire day to get vaccinated. It's looking like these vaccine centres can only manage 300 vaccinations a day

quovadis

Executive Member
The local GP took his staff to get vaccinated at one of the Durban hospitals on Monday. They went there at 4:30 in the morning and was 250th in line.

They basically had to wait the entire day to get vaccinated. It's looking like these vaccine centres can only manage 300 vaccinations a day
You’re supposed to have appointments set up - would be interesting to know if they had them or just tried their luck.

quovadis

Executive Member
An example isn't a parallel. Jesus.

Your asinine stance on civil liberties and your constitutional rights regarding the crackdown measures are as asinine as those who think it's ok to have the government spy on you if "you have nothing to hide".

The parallel is your attitude regarding the essence of being human.
I never said anything about government spying nor do I see that in anyway similar to pandemic measures.

I've stated my position on various aspects of the lockdown measures but unfortunately it's lost on those who like to criticise with the benefit of hindsight and do not appreciate what could have been (or could possibly still be) a scenario similar to many countries where despite ones own responsible behaviour you are denied access to health facilities as they are overrun by those who were less responsible.