South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Napalm

Expert Member
Numbers climbing steep people. Be safe out there if you are an engineer or person working onsite or at clients.

If you can... please work from home as much as humanly possible. Chat with your Boss about working from home options.

Don't goto friends... Don't go visit family members (for your sake and theirs). Only go shopping for essentials that is needed or medications etc.. Don't just go out for the sake of going out. Now is not the time to go window shopping or spending hours at the mall. Sitting around and shooting the breeze.

The virus is out there, it moves with the people. Even these vaccines is not an guarantee of any note. I personally know people who had the J&J vaccine and got covid twice and still ended up in hospital. Things is ruff out here.
1623454030086.png

Be safe! Please. Wear masks, Sanitize on your way in of a shop and on your way out. Sanitize again before entering your home or vehicle too.

Napalm

Expert Member
I know so many people with it at the moment
Ye, as time goes on... more and more people you know or a friend.. maybe a colleague or possibly a family member will not make it.

In our company, we see emails almost weekly now. Someone that has passed. It's really ruff in JHB, KZN but CPT is picking up too.

Like i said before, i know people out there specially younger folks. They feel Closter phobic and just want to go out. Chill with their buds, maybe have a braai or go out for a night on the town. Maybe visit their folks or few buddy's they haven't seen in a while. They all said they are safe... and no one feels like they have Covid. So it's safe right.

Answer is : "No". No one can say they are safe at any given point. Each one of your friends or family possibly go out to the pharmacy, the shops or possibly different working sites (like most techy's or engineers, they go to multiple sites on a daily basis). Some persons also go meetup a friend for coffee somewhere or possibly come in contact with a co-worker. You can carry this virus for 4-5 maybe 7days. You won't know you have been positive the whole time. Unless you all of sudden feel some shivers, a sweat breakout, feeling some muscle pains or a splitting headache, food start tasting strange or you start getting backpain out of the blue. The chest maybe feels slightly tighter than it normally does. <-- By then it's too late, you already visited your folks, maybe a few friends, a couple of colleagues at work. No on intends for these things to happen, we all think we follow at least most of the regulations. Wearing masks, sanitizing etc. Problem is. That is simply not enough.

Reason : Someone that has Covid can sanitize, after 10-15seconds that alcohol has burned any surface virus away. That person is sweating and carrying it with him still. He goes into shops or visit people and touch objects, maybe a set of cutlery or mugs. Picks up a item in the canned food isle and puts it back. If he coughs...and wearing mask incorrectly, maybe a 1ply or 2ply cloth mask. It will then spew hundreds of particle in every direction to the sides of his face <like mini sprayers to the side of the face> If you happen to be standing beside him in the queue or when he was walking past you. That is when you hope you have a N95 on or a very very secure and protective mask. If your mask is also poor cloth mask or cheap 1ply. It's not going to be good times ahead.

I myself have had Covid, i have lost a Parent to this virus. I have been through it. It's a hard lesson to learn and trust me, it brings you to your knees quick. I was in hospital myself for 10days on oxygen almost didn't make it myself as i struggle with Highblood pressure and Asthma and Diabetes. So to be extra safe... is my middle name. I have no intention of getting it again or ending back where i was.

So i would have really liked to visit friends and family or go about malls and window shop like i used to. The answer is just, i can't. I have told all my family and friends, i cannot have visitors. It's just not safe.

Paulsie

Expert Member
So i would have really liked to visit friends and family or go about malls and window shop like i used to. The answer is just, i can't. I have told all my family and friends, i cannot have visitors. It's just not safe.
As sad as your situation (parent) and you experience has been, you do realize this thing is going to be around forever?

And since you don't trust your acquired immunity, nor you will the vaccine for that matter (as even vaccinated people can still get and spread the virus), what is there left to live for??

Daveogg

Expert Member
@Napalm condolences I am sure this has been a really difficult time. @Paulsie have some compassion man. Yes the Sars CoV2 virus is here to stay but the impact will lessen over time. I believe in 10 years I will still admit an occasional Covid pneumonia but it will be rare and a remember when moment.

flytek

Ye, as time goes on... more and more people you know or a friend.. maybe a colleague or possibly a family member will not make it.

In our company, we see emails almost weekly now. Someone that has passed. It's really ruff in JHB, KZN but CPT is picking up too.

Like i said before, i know people out there specially younger folks. They feel Closter phobic and just want to go out. Chill with their buds, maybe have a braai or go out for a night on the town. Maybe visit their folks or few buddy's they haven't seen in a while. They all said they are safe... and no one feels like they have Covid. So it's safe right.

Answer is : "No". No one can say they are safe at any given point. Each one of your friends or family possibly go out to the pharmacy, the shops or possibly different working sites (like most techy's or engineers, they go to multiple sites on a daily basis). Some persons also go meetup a friend for coffee somewhere or possibly come in contact with a co-worker. You can carry this virus for 4-5 maybe 7days. You won't know you have been positive the whole time. Unless you all of sudden feel some shivers, a sweat breakout, feeling some muscle pains or a splitting headache, food start tasting strange or you start getting backpain out of the blue. The chest maybe feels slightly tighter than it normally does. <-- By then it's too late, you already visited your folks, maybe a few friends, a couple of colleagues at work. No on intends for these things to happen, we all think we follow at least most of the regulations. Wearing masks, sanitizing etc. Problem is. That is simply not enough.

Reason : Someone that has Covid can sanitize, after 10-15seconds that alcohol has burned any surface virus away. That person is sweating and carrying it with him still. He goes into shops or visit people and touch objects, maybe a set of cutlery or mugs. Picks up a item in the canned food isle and puts it back. If he coughs...and wearing mask incorrectly, maybe a 1ply or 2ply cloth mask. It will then spew hundreds of particle in every direction to the sides of his face <like mini sprayers to the side of the face> If you happen to be standing beside him in the queue or when he was walking past you. That is when you hope you have a N95 on or a very very secure and protective mask. If your mask is also poor cloth mask or cheap 1ply. It's not going to be good times ahead.

I myself have had Covid, i have lost a Parent to this virus. I have been through it. It's a hard lesson to learn and trust me, it brings you to your knees quick. I was in hospital myself for 10days on oxygen almost didn't make it myself as i struggle with Highblood pressure and Asthma and Diabetes. So to be extra safe... is my middle name. I have no intention of getting it again or ending back where i was.

Condolences on the loss of a parent.

Please take note that in the western cape the reinfection figure is in the region of 1% and nationally the death rate will likely never reach 0.5%.
Since you have had covid the chances of you getting it again and dying from it is something like 0.005%.
Falling of a ladder is more likely to kill you.
If somehow the reinfection rate or the total death rate changes then my estimation may be adjusted.
This 0.005% chance of dying applies to all those that carry antibodies and in the cape town and many other higher denity areas it will apply to 75% of the population now and climb higher with every new case.

Paulsie

Expert Member
@Napalm condolences I am sure this has been a really difficult time. @Paulsie have some compassion man. Yes the Sars CoV2 virus is here to stay but the impact will lessen over time. I believe in 10 years I will still admit an occasional Covid pneumonia but it will be rare and a remember when moment.
I was actually being considerate. I just think that it's really sad that someone who's pulled through (unlike one of his parents sadly) and is very very likely to be protected from another severe covid infection is so scared of living the rest of his life, that he declines to see his friends and family, even when masked and outdoors (as per his warning - a cough, a touch, improperly fitted mask...)

flytek

Please see below diagram of Cape Town cases and deaths.
I have superimposed the 7 day moving average deaths onto the cases graph.
In the first and second wave the deaths followed the cases rather swiftly however that is not the case currently.
One would think a rise in cases would lead to a rise in deaths.
Cases a day are now 15% of the second wave peak while deaths are more like 5% of the second wave peak.
What could be causing this? A new more virulent but less deadly strain? I'm at a loss.

Secondly what are the ways to test if one has had a previous covid infection?

casesdeaths.jpg

Supervan II

Expert Member
Time to head to the bottle store
Good move!

What I cannot for the life of me fathom is that alcohol is deemed to kill the virus which is why it is being used in sanitizers - the higher alcohol by volume, the more effective it is deemed to be - yet our government has banned the consumption thereof in the past and wants to do so again!

I say: Drink, nay drown that damn virus!!!!

Supervan II

Expert Member
The one woman who died is the mother-in-law of my cousin (she's in NZ). She had a number of co-morbidities, amongst which was diabetes and asthma. She was admitted to hospital soon after arrival in PE. She was warned not to go on this tour, but ironically, it was on her bucket list and she insisted!

The sad part is that my cousin's husband couldn't even attend his mom's funeral/memorial due to the mandatory quarantine periods on either side - notwithstanding that there was also the likelihood that he would probably be stranded here in SA and not allowed back due to travel restrictions.

Last edited:

chrisc

Executive Member
An extended bus trip is no better than a cruise ship. Yet tour companies both here and overseas are promoting cruises

MSC has one leaving Durban in November. Royal Caribbean in December. Safari Tours offers Namibia from July. That is 3 weeks away

Botha22

An extended bus trip is no better than a cruise ship. Yet tour companies both here and overseas are promoting cruises

MSC has one leaving Durban in November. Royal Caribbean in December. Safari Tours offers Namibia from July. That is 3 weeks away
Bus is worse, but yes both are not advisable at the moment.

Brawler

Honorary Master
Lol. Bus tour now is crazy. I remember Contiki tours back in the day. Absolutely everyone was sick by day 10 or so.

twr

Expert Member
Lol. Bus tour now is crazy. I remember Contiki tours back in the day. Absolutely everyone was sick by day 10 or so.
Yes on my contiki tour fee years ago ,a nasty bug got quite a few people but lucky not me