South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
An extended bus trip is no better than a cruise ship. Yet tour companies both here and overseas are promoting cruises

MSC has one leaving Durban in November. Royal Caribbean in December. Safari Tours offers Namibia from July. That is 3 weeks away

Anyone wanting to visit Namibia now must be nuts! Our rates are at their worst, deaths are climbing and our Gov is too scared to shut anything down due to the fragile economy, There are massive concerts every weekend and the youth attend in numbers without masks..... it's like the country is on auto pilot..... My kids school just announced closure due to the numbers, yet the Gov schools are staying open....

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
An extended bus trip is no better than a cruise ship. Yet tour companies both here and overseas are promoting cruises

MSC has one leaving Durban in November. Royal Caribbean in December. Safari Tours offers Namibia from July. That is 3 weeks away

Posted earlier in the International thread:
All guests had to show proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test before boarding, the company said. All on-board staff are fully vaccinated.

The two cases were confirmed during end of cruise testing and Royal Caribbean are conducting contact tracing, the company said in a statement.

Royal Caribbean has worked with the US Centre for Disease Control (CDC) to restart its sailings. The CDC gave cruises the go-ahead if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are vaccinated.

neoprema

Executive Member
I think we might see Level 3, but unless its done soon it will prob happen right as our numbers start going down. From what i've read i'm hoping the 3rd wave will last far shorter and have far less impact than the first 2.

Napalm

Expert Member
I was actually being considerate. I just think that it's really sad that someone who's pulled through (unlike one of his parents sadly) and is very very likely to be protected from another severe covid infection is so scared of living the rest of his life, that he declines to see his friends and family, even when masked and outdoors (as per his warning - a cough, a touch, improperly fitted mask...)
Hi Paulsie. No i do understand what your saying. Having had the virus does give some immunity, however no one knows how long it will last.

I personally know of 2 people who have had Covid twice now. Jan and now again in June.
I also personally know of 2 people who have had J&J vaccine who still 3weeks later got Covid, Ended up in hospital and both on ventilation and both died.

It's not that i'm scared of living my life.. it's more a case of being extra careful. I will not endanger or put myself in harms way to goto clubs or bars or malls or family's or friends events just for a social "soirée/Swaray" because i feel bored. My dads family, meaning my uncles and auntie's are all 60years old and older. My grandmother is 84. I simply cannot take the chance that i maybe got the virus again or maybe my dad or someone got it from work and carry it to his brothers and sisters or his Mother (my grandmom).

We rather chat on whatsapp or Videocall, further on we entertain ourselves at home. Watch the Rugga/Soccer and Darts and Boxing. Catchup on Netflix series i've been missing out on. Read Books or Audible. I've got penty of hobbies, i own 3 guitars, a drumset and some Synth devices.. So i'm not bored at all. Infact i dont even get chance to get to all of these things. I also have a Gamer PC which is fairly Strong RTX2080ti. 64GB DDR4 4200mhz memory etc. So i do play some Apex and few titles.

When i go shopping i try to make it quick trips in and out, i don't try to linger around or window-shop or sit around for the fun of sitting around. I also try to keep these trips to minimum. Maybe once every 3-4weeks.

I also understand, there are many younger folks who feel their health is good. They feel they can take the virus on and battle it out. Get the immunity and continue. In most cases 95% or more do make it out alive. So it's not all doom and gloom. I would however advise those that have co-morbidity's, even if they are young and their health is not as good they have to try and steer clear of this virus. Even the Vaccine is not a guarantee. If the person is older than 40-45 or upward of 50-60, it just gets more dangerous as one's immune system is not what it was before in the 20's and 30's.

Napalm

Expert Member
Condolences on the loss of a parent.

Please take note that in the western cape the reinfection figure is in the region of 1% and nationally the death rate will likely never reach 0.5%.
Since you have had covid the chances of you getting it again and dying from it is something like 0.005%.
Falling of a ladder is more likely to kill you.
If somehow the reinfection rate or the total death rate changes then my estimation may be adjusted.
This 0.005% chance of dying applies to all those that carry antibodies and in the cape town and many other higher denity areas it will apply to 75% of the population now and climb higher with every new case.
Thanks Flytek. It's been a hard journey and recovery was even harder... like a extra knive stabbing me in the gut whilst i was busy recovering from my own Covid blow. <i have an oxygen concentrator at home, which i had to use for 3-4weeks after leaving hospital>. As mentioned in my other post, i know of 2 people who have Covid again now, after getting it back in January 2021, They also lost their grandmother to covid that time in jan. Then they got covid again now.

I think each persons anti-bodied are different. Some who had it bad in 2020 might have more anti-bodies or maybe it will hit one harder if you get it again. I'm not a scientist, i just really don't want to get it again. I know where i ended up last time and what i went through.

Losing the ability to breathe does something to you. When i was in hospital i was on oxygen the whole time. If i had to goto the toilet. How long can you hold your breath? Cause it was a case of literally, the moment you take the oxygen mask off your face if you grasp for air... breathing in normal air is like being on mars. There is no oxygen. The 20% oxygen in normal air just wasn't sufficient. I had to time myself walking 5seconds to toilet door, walking through and closing door 3seconds, walking to toilet and taking a whizz 25seconds, back to toilet door and rush to my bed for oxygen mask 10seconds. Then you gasping for air and pullling in that 75-80% oxygen that was on the oxygen mask. It then also takes you at least 3-5 deep breaths to breath normal again.

This is something they don't show on TV or tell people. It's very similar like giving a person an oxygen tank and go diving.

To ween you off the oxygen and getting you to exercise your lungs they give you a bottle to blow on. (little straw into a big bottle that is closed up, so that your blowing against pressure) it's to train the lungs to strengthen them.

About 7days in at hospital they put my oxygen down to 40%. This made me light-headed the whole time, you grasp more and breathe harder. Making you work for your oxygen. Eventually after 10days or so they took oxygen off and now you still wheezing and struggle to breath. but at least you can take normal oxygen out of normal air. No machines.

They did give me prescription for oxygen concentrator at home, as even when i was discharged. I could walk maybe 10meters then i have to stand still and take 3-4 deep breaths to get my composure. Then walk another 8-10meters and stand again. Doctor advised it will take at least 2-3months before my lungs will fully recover to what it was before Covid. So i use the Oxygen machine when i sleep, only at night time. Used it for 1.5months every night and then my lungs healed. Only around end of March is when things started getting back to normal. I could then walk around the house and pickup my dogs and do normal things without sheezing and huffing and puffing.

I really do not wish this virus on my worst enemy. I just wish people will realise how lethal or how impactive this virus can be if it takes you to ground. It takes you HARD.

Not everyone, there are many people who got Covid and only had sniffels for few days and maybe a slight cough or a sore throat for a day or 2 and that was that. Those that are affected and end up in hospital. They go the route i have had to take. Some end up on the bad side of that coin too. I almost didn't make it...that bottle saved my life. I had to blow through that straw for hours and hours and hours. 2am the morning, blowing 70 times on the bottle. 4am or 5am again 50-70 times. 10am another 50-70 times. If your lungs don't get stronger the virus damages it more.

I was also not allowed to sleep on my back. (another thing they don't tell public) Sleeping on back when having Covid is deadly. Your lungs build up fluid easier that way. I had to sleep on my chest all the time. The nurses and doctors would scold me all the time. If they see you on your back maybe reading a messsage on your phone or you maybe just sit back to relax on your back.. it's bad.
1623623869276.png

HS2000

In China’s latest outbreak, doctors say the infected get sicker, faster.​

Almost a third of patients who died after catching Indian ‘delta’ variant had BOTH jabs as fears of third wave grow

COVID-19: Delta variant about 60% more transmissible than Alpha and more resistant to vaccines, PHE reports​

I have been avoiding the news and only realised the above now.

This feels like it will never end.

Why isn't this thing burning out? Aren't viruses meant to become weaker.

The indian variant seems more aggressive.

I don't want to visit my family in July anymore.

I had a mild case and it took me almost two months to feel better.

Im actually afraid that we are going to have a similar outcome to India.

We have nothing to protect us.

Vaccination is happening at a snail pace & Ivermectin isn't being taken seriously.

Lupus

Honorary Master

In China’s latest outbreak, doctors say the infected get sicker, faster.​

Almost a third of patients who died after catching Indian ‘delta’ variant had BOTH jabs as fears of third wave grow

COVID-19: Delta variant about 60% more transmissible than Alpha and more resistant to vaccines, PHE reports​

I have been avoiding the news and only realised the above now.

The indian variant seems more aggressive.

I don't want to visit my family in July anymore.

I had a mild case and it took me almost two months to feel better.

Im actually afraid that we are going to have a similar outcome to India.

We have nothing to protect us.

Vaccination is happening at a snail pace & Ivermectin isn't being taken seriously.
They would normally burnout, but not if everyone is sanitizing and socially distancing and such. I think in a lot of ways the last year of panic has made the virus worse, as before it would spread to as many people as possible and burn it self out.
Now it can't because everyone was locked down, and trying to avoid it, so it mutated to be more virulent.
Also calm down to a mild panic, it's not the Spanish flu we're dealing with, you'll still stand a very good chance of surviving if you get it.

Paulsie

Expert Member

There is plenty of scientific opinion that says that lockdows and social distancing took away the advantage of the weaker virus, namely transmissibility and given a better chance for the stronger, more dangerous strains to become dominant.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I guess the only reason that we haven't gone to higher restrictions yet is because Ramaphosa is hobnobbing it overseas :cautious:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I have just seen the medicine list for someone treated at a public health facility, who has been sent home to isolate.
The system has no clue how to treat it.
Apart from all the normal stuff anyone can buy over the counter,
The person is taking
Flustat, probiflora, sandoz, and an unnamed pain medication.
The over the counter and S2 stuff is:
Linctopet syrup, ACC200, Disprin, vitamin C 1000mg, Zinplex
Conclusion:
No one knows what to do, so they are treating it as a bad flu.

Last edited:

VicB

You've told me to ignore newspaper articles. I've given you what the CDC usually takes consideration of.
I asked you to not post clickbait and false information to show me where a CV19 vaccine has actually caused the death of someone, as you were claiming. This means where it is a documented certainty that the cause of death was the vaccine.

I'm well aware of the VAERS and what info it is tracking. Again, even in the VAERS with all of the adverse events that it is tracking, not one death has been attributed directly to the vaccine yet?

Why spread false information? You seem to be interested in the topic, know about the VAERS and have done some reading up about it, so you would have known that no deaths have been directly linked as to the vaccine as COD?

Lupus

Honorary Master
I have just seen the medicine list for someone treated at a public health facility, who has been sent home to isolate.
The system had no clue how to treat it.
The person is taking
unknown pain medication would probably be a paracetamol

VicB

The system had no clue how to treat it.
The person is taking

Sandoz what? (Sandoz is the name of a generic manufacturing company, so that doesn't say what the product is). It could be Sandoz-aspirin, Sandoz-metformin, Sandoz-metronidazole, Sandoz-amoxicillin etc?

And no IVM?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I can't find the video but over the weekend I watched an ENCA interview of a Scientist from Uganda saying that the Indian variant is spreading rapidly in the country in a similar way it spread rapidly in rural areas in India.

Seems the Indian variant has mutations allows it to be spread in rural areas that other variants lack.