South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Visiting a GP between 1930-2019:
Me: I have a sore throat, swollen glands, a cough and am feverish.
GP: Looks like you have the flu. Here's a prescription for a course of antibiotics and something to help with the pain.

Visiting a GP between 2020-2021:
GP: Sound like Covid. Go for a test and stay home.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Visiting a GP between 1930-2019:
GP: Looks like you have the flu. Here's a prescription for a course of antibiotics and something to help with the pain.

Visiting a GP between 2020-2021:
GP: Sound like Covid. Go for a test and stay home.

Why would a doctor give you antibiotics for the flu?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Why would a doctor give you antibiotics for the flu?
Because that is EXACTLY what they do! When you ask why, you get this as an answer: "In case you develop bacterial pneumonia, the antibiotic will treat that "
Next time you get the flu, have a closer look at what you are being prescribed and see what it is for.

Or, if you go down with Covid check the meds you get.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Because that is EXACTLY what they do! When you ask why, you get this as an answer: "In case you develop bacterial pneumonia, the antibiotic will treat that "
Next time you get the flu, have a closer look at what you are being prescribed and see what it is for.

Interesting. I don't get sick often. I guess that I will need to wait a long time to see this for myself.

HunterNW

Honorary Master

Exactly what the dr gave me when i tested positive - and he said the same. In case of ....
Also a box of cardio disprins, in case of blood clotting.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

You mean people don't check what they are being given and what it is for as a general rule? No wonder people come across as retarded. They're ignorant with no one to blame but themselves.

This prescription mentality is exactly why I don't go to the doctor unless I'm at death's door.

Paulsie

Expert Member
The above overlaying of phases would normally not happen during drug development to this extent, but it is also not unheard of. By doing this, you would reduce your timelines drastically, as is what was needed in this case.

To get a new drug approved, every step and component of the manufacturing, packing & distribution is part of the approval process. Every room, every mixer, every machine, every vial, EVERYTHING is documented and included in the drug dossier that get's submitted to the FDA and other regulatory bodies. All the factories of all the different constituents of a new drug and all their details are included (a drug contains not just the active ingredient, but also soluents, colourants, preservatives, binding agents, etc). A drug dossier for a new approval is often contained in enough documents to fill a small room.

Point being, as every step and every part of the manufacturing process and it's components are also part of the approval, you cannot submit your dossier for approval before those steps and facilities are completed to be included in the dossier for submission. Hence why Pfizer and other companies took the risk of starting to prepare their facilities for manufacture of the vaccine, and once done to start ramping up production of the vaccine before final approvals were given.

Well, yes you can actually. How do you think the vaccine used for the phase III trials are acquired? Experimental drug candidates in development are listed, documented and the research process documented to ensure compliance with international standards. The phased trial design is also documented and reviewed by the FDA and other ethical bodies to ensure that the design of the phase III and other phases are ethically and clinically up to standard. Sometimes you submit your phase III trial data and it get's accepted by the FDA after review, other times the FDA ask you for additional data, or recommends / requires some changes in the manufacturing process, which the company will then have to go back and make the necessary changes. Pharma companies don't go to the FDA and surprise them with a finished product and ask them to approve it. There's many other approval steps and involvement from regulatory bodies during development.

Well, nothing in terms of the quality of the drug. The approval process is extremely rigid in terms of it's requirements. If any of those requirements are deviated from, the application is rejected and some recommendations are made as to how to fix it.
But what can go wrong is delays, and cost implications. If you manufacture drug before final approval, you run the risk of having to destroy all your manufactured batches if the FDA requires a change in the drug or manufacturing process. It's a very big risk to the company, but not to the patient. In this case, it's a risk that Pfizer was willing to take as they were very confident of the quality of the drug they developed.
I actually know how product development and safety works. I'm in food manufacturing with stringent food safety management system in place.
Hence I also know how easy it is for someone (even auditor) to miss something (look at the contamination scare and material mix-up). Overall, fair enough though.

My biggest concern is with general and overall pressure exerted before the vaccines have been tested and approved. Look at the vacvk action drive towards children - everyone is pushing for this and they have not yet been tested anor approved.

What pressure does this exert on governments, authorities etc etc??

Paulsie

Expert Member
You mean people don't check what they are being given and what it is for as a general rule? No wonder people come across as retarded. They're ignorant with no one to blame but themselves.

This prescription mentality is exactly why I don't go to the doctor unless I'm at death's door.
Never question a doctor!!!!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ditto. I have enough knowledge to sort myself out 90% of the time. I am on no Chronic meds except Ecotrin.

This time, however, I am more than a bit careful and will go to the doc very quickly if I was to develop Covid symptoms. The right one, the one prepared to prescribe IVM

Last edited:

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Part of the problem is that SMSs are sent from a central database, with little connection to reality on the ground. A combination of vaccine hesitancy, and poor management...
I imagine a system like. Your name starts with 'A' go on day 1 of month. 'C' go on day 3. Might be more effective than what they have going on in this regard. [sic]

Leno

Expert Member
What ever happened to the hotspot system, the coastal towns got hit with higher lockdowns over Dec, but now its Gauteng you don't hear about it

Lupus

Honorary Master
What ever happened to the hotspot system, the coastal towns got hit with higher lockdowns over Dec, but now its Gauteng you don't hear about it
So like 2 posts up from yours, also hotspots didn't really work, also the coastal towns didn't get any harder then others.