South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I was asking what your view is based on as with a low mutation rate, this coronavirus lends itself to lasting immunity from Memory B cells. It sounds like you are expecting a second wave in SA next year with >100k known active cases like earlier in 2020. Do you not expect that magnitude of resurgence?
I was not trying to get technical to the point where one can't see the wood from the trees.
I was merely pointing out that a virus does NOT have to mutate to show a tendency towards being seasonal.
In any case, you appear to have answered your own question in a later post of yours, so what is the issue you have with my post?

Coronaviruses do show seasonal tendencies (which by the way, is NOT about the weather directly), except of course the colder climates drive human beings indoors into highly air-conditioned and artificially heated environments, which then increases the risk of close proximity between people, which must increase the risk of transmission from infected people to non-infected people.

And of course, if the experts studying this virus are correct, then the second time around is likely to cause milder infections. Or is there another genius out there that wants to disagree with this?
We are all hoping they are right -- that the nature of this bug is such that it mutates slowly, hence IF a vaccine becomes available, it is likely to be effective for longer in reducing the severity of an infection.
Or are there still those that believe that a vaccine is going to provide 100% protection against Covid 19 virus?

I cannot understand why there are so many that insist on selling the BS that the virus is NOT affected by the environment. I suppose this is because so many have some or other hang-up about the theory of evolution, or, can't see that the weather drives human behaviour which in turn drives conditions that are conducive to the spreading of an airborne disease??

politallycorrect

I was not trying to get technical to the point where one can't see the wood from the trees.
I was merely pointing out that a virus does NOT have to mutate to show a tendency towards being seasonal.
In any case, you appear to have answered your own question in a later post of yours, so what is the issue you have with my post?

Coronaviruses do show seasonal tendencies (which by the way, is NOT about the weather directly), except of course the colder climates drive human beings indoors into highly air-conditioned and artificially heated environments, which then increases the risk of close proximity between people, which must increase the risk of transmission from infected people to non-infected people.

And of course, if the experts studying this virus are correct, then the second time around is likely to cause milder infections. Or is there another genius out there that wants to disagree with this?
We are all hoping they are right -- that the nature of this bug is such that it mutates slowly, hence IF a vaccine becomes available, it is likely to be effective for longer in reducing the severity of an infection.
Or are there still those that believe that a vaccine is going to provide 100% protection against Covid 19 virus?

I cannot understand why there are so many that insist on selling the BS that the virus is NOT affected by the environment. I suppose this is because so many have some or other hang-up about the theory of evolution, or, can't see that the weather drives human behaviour which in turn drives conditions that are conducive to the spreading of an airborne disease??

I don't have an issue with your post. I wanted to understand your perspective

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That's one shortage no one really complained about.
The Marmite shortage was caused by a shortage of "spent yeast" , a by product of the brewing industry which was forced to stop producing. Maybe that same by product is used to to produce the yeast "we" buy?. That would explain the shortages as well?

MiW

Expert Member
The Marmite shortage was caused by a shortage of "spent yeast" , a by product of the brewing industry which was forced to stop producing. Maybe that same by product is used to to produce the yeast "we" buy?. That would explain the shortages as well?
Not the same product. First wave of yeast shortage was the stocking up, then factories run out of packaging , because you know, that wasn't essential business...

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Huh?
The rats everywhere are starting to abandon the ship before the witch hunt starts.

"So what now" all you guys that have supported LDs all along despite the evidence presented by some of us all along?
When are you also going to bail out?
The whole lot of you are just morons.

Read and weep!

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
In an interview last night Dr Gupta compared the two pandemics in America, in which an attempt was made to control the pandemic with a LD and the outcome in America was exactly the same if the population size is factored in!

Last edited:

Paulsie

Expert Member

Huh?
The rats everywhere are starting to abandon the ship before the the witch hunt starts.

"So what now" all you guys that have supported LDs all along despite the evidence presented by some of us all along?
When are you also going to bail out?
The whole lot of you are just morons.

Read and weep!
They were all patting themselves on their backs for jobs well done 1 month into the first lockdown. Didn't quite think long term and it's bit them in the a$$. They have finally realized this thing cannot be controlled by locking down.

IceyPieQ

My mom tested positive today. The rest of the family went for tests this afternoon. Haven't seen my family in 7 months. My mom was supposed to fly down to CPT on sat for my son's birthday. How do I go about explaining this to my kid without scaring the **** out of him? His Nanna is by far his favorite person in the world, he has been marking off the sleeps on the calendar.

He knows there is a virus, but only as much as a five yr old needs to know.

rietrot

Honorary Master
My mom tested positive today. The rest of the family went for tests this afternoon. Haven't seen my family in 7 months. My mom was supposed to fly down to CPT on sat for my son's birthday. How do I go about explaining this to my kid without scaring the **** out of him? His Nanna is by far his favorite person in the world, he has been marking off the sleeps on the calendar.

Just straight forward.

Grandmas got the Rona she needs to stay home.

I assume your kid is reasonably aware of the things and you haven't spend the last few months fearmongering so there's no reason why it should scare the shít out of him.

Than answer questions about grandmas healt honestly.

Good luck if you did traumatize the kid in the months leading up to now to the point where he thinks it's the end of the world.

now05ster

Expert Member
A fascinating intervention strategy by a South African pulmonologist to enable better blood oxygenation. It also offers one of the reasons why even ventilation fails to assists some Covid patients.

TLDW: mucus plugs form in the lungs.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Just straight forward.

Grandmas got the Rona she needs to stay home.

I assume your kid is reasonably aware of the things and you haven't spend the last few months fearmongering so there's no reason why it should scare the shít out of him.

Than answer questions about grandmas healt honestly.

Good luck if you did traumatize the kid in the months leading up to now to the point where he thinks it's the end of the world.
@IceyPieQ and for goodness sake fly you mom over straightaway once she's recovered!!!!!! This is NOT the time to keep families apart.

Lupus

Honorary Master

The truth, she has Covid, in 90% of the people who get it, it's really mild to no effects at all. So she will more than likely be perfectly fine.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Which is what? I'm curious as to what you think is acceptable and what isn't or whatever, I'd like to compare it to my 5 year old's understanding of this faux-demic and what her mother and I tell her.

LCBXX

Honorary Master

Oh lord, we just praised by one of America's top doctors who has been (attempting) to lead the USA's covid-19 response :X3:
Correction, Adriaan Basson and Riaan Grobler praised him.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Probably not. Minor illnesses like colds and flu have not been obsessed over like this current minor one.
Weird how the flu is now referred to as a 'minor' illness.

You're right though. Flu statistics doesn't support the narrative.