South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Mortymoose

Honorary Master

... and the people still don't give a toss, Namibia had this, then fatique set in, The economy took a major hit and it is evident that the gov has chosen economy over life. When a small country like ours starts to register more than 70 deaths daily you know the sh.. is on. I live in a small town of 8000 , almost daily we hear the medivac landing to take someone away, we have almost 500 pos cases.... and yet I still have to lecture grown people to sanitize and wear their mask correctly,

In addition there is such mistrust of the vaccine....... as stated earlier, Namibia will be the first country to reach. Herd immunity. Our local Spar employs 85 souls and we have already had more than thirty workers get through being positive . Another major attraction, the nation still keep going to funerals, insist on travelling every weekend to bury someone....

Frustrating to say the least, I am for one am thankful that I have vaccintated and have survived my first bout with covid..

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
... and the people still don't give a toss, Namibia had this, then fatique set in, The economy took a major hit and it is evident that the gov has chosen economy over life. When a small country like ours starts to register more than 70 deaths daily you know the sh.. is on. I live in a small town of 8000 , almost daily we hear the medivac landing to take someone away, we have almost 500 pos cases.... and yet I still have to lecture grown people to sanitize and wear their mask correctly,

In addition there is such mistrust of the vaccine....... as stated earlier, Namibia will be the first country to reach. Herd immunity. Our local Spar employs 85 souls and we have already had more than thirty workers get through being positive . Another major attraction, the nation still keep going to funerals, insist on travelling every weekend to bury someone....

Frustrating to say the least, I am for one am thankful that I have vaccintated and have survived my first bout with covid..
Or, Namibia is going to be the first country to burst the herd immunity bubble. And the next one of using a vaccine that is barely 50% effective. And then to only give 1 shot to boot.
All these short cuts add up.
It is simple statistical theory.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Or, Namibia is going to be the first country to burst the herd immunity bubble. And the next one of using a vaccine that is barely 50% effective. And then to only give 1 shot to boot.
Here's an article related to your way of thinking re herd immunity

Arzy

Honorary Master
Meh, according to the mediahack tables we still haven't peaked nationally.

Tests per positive case still decreasing, at 3.39 now, not at December levels yet though.
7-day test positivity average still increasing, at 29.2% now.
Average daily positives per week still increasing.

It does seem to be stabilizing though. Rt estimate still hovering at 1.21 but we need it to go down.

R13...

Honorary Master
Meh, according to the mediahack tables we still haven't peaked nationally.

Tests per positive case still decreasing, at 3.39 now, not at December levels yet though.
7-day test positivity average still increasing, at 29.2% now.
Average daily positives per week still increasing.

It does seem to be stabilizing though. Rt estimate still hovering at 1.21 but we need it to go down.
All the other provinces seem to be still seeing a rise in cases with only Gauteng possible peaking. Gauteng now only makes up around half of country's cases. So a slight decrease there.

On a side note, I passed a COVID testing this morning with a line extending to the street. First I've seen during this pandemic.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master

Damn. I didn't realise that your town was so remote that they have to take people out by helicopter.

Is Namibia only giving out single shots of 2-dose vaccines?

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Damn. I didn't realise that your town was so remote that they have to take people out by helicopter.

Is Namibia only giving out single shots of 2-dose vaccines?

We have a hospital, use to be top notch, but they are battling with numbers and when things get serious , patients get medivac out to the Capital...

I am due for my 2nd shot in just over three weeks, lo and behold if they have given out my 2nd jab, although I am currently full of antibodies after the last ten days..

Drifter

Honorary Master
Let's see where this goes now that the Lamba version has been detected in RSA. I reckon at least another month at level 4, maybe even level 5.

krycor

Honorary Master

Gauteng looks like it’s past peak if sustained this weak.. WC looks like it it’s climbing still in other graphs.. esp hospitalization etc. it’s crazy as you don’t see a flurry of activity as you did last go around.

Ie I walk past sometimes, on lunch at work, a test lab once a week.. last wave/summer there was a queue.. this go around very little people. So it’s weird..

I reckon WC numbers.. if declines this week it may be a case of restrictions helping and people heeding counter measures. It’s winter.. rainy, indoor weather conditions.. you’d expect it to be worse here tbh but with measures in place earlier vs stage compared to Gauteng it might be good?

Always debatable .. and whether gov was late or early.. one of those damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I reckon this level lockdown maintained/extended for 7 days to see if declines are maintained. Just me speculating..

Last edited: