South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Not as familiar with what's going on in WC as with GP, but it seems to me that WC will keep their peak lower than the 2nd, but with a flat top that will last unfortunately longer before the numbers start dropping. The reason is that WC is in much better control of the epidemic, but unfortunately, still have to wait for the delta variant to burn itself out over a much wider area. Something like this?

Just a guess, nowhere near as confident about this prediction as with the GP one.

WC-graph.jpg

Paulsie

Expert Member
City Press reported, however, that Cabinet decided two weeks ago that Ramaphosa would announce level 4 Covid-19 restrictions for 21 days.

However, to manage concerns from the business community, he opted for two weeks, with the intention of reviewing the lockdown thereafter.
Expected and not surprising, however if yet again confirms govt will tell us what they think we want to hear.

Also, just because they do not plan does not mean others would not like to know what's to prepare for.

Last edited:

Currantly

Expert Member

Private hospitals under pressure as third wave hits Western Cape​

Cape Town - The Western Cape could see more than 500 hospital admissions for Covid-19 patients by next week as private sector hospitals come under pressure.
As the Covid-19 third wave sweeps through the country and the province’s wave only expected to peek at the end of the month, officials are putting measures in place to ensure that hospitals are able to keep up with demand for healthcare.
The province’s hospitals are seeing an admission of 170 people per day, with 2 355 people in hospital as of Friday. The majority of these patients are in private hospitals, where admissions have increase by 20% from more than a week ago.

Linky

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Family meeting @ 08:00. Decided to make Samp & Beans for supper with hadeda stew, pancakes for pudding and popcorn afterwards.

Gotta somehow disguise the pain in my gut for having to listen to the squirrel again. It is somehow impossible to just switch off the damn TV.

Last edited:

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Family meeting @ 08:0) Decided to make Samp & Beans for supper with hadeda stew, pancakes for pudding and popcorn afterwards.

Gotta somehow disguise the pain in my gut for having to listen to the squirrel again. It is somehow impossible to just switch off the damn TV.

You should watch. The Cartoon Network, exact same stuff....

Oh lordy, the MSM presenter really is a bit clueless, isn't she? Very much pushing for level 5 but thankfully Dr. Ridhwaan Suliman politely disabused her of that notion. How can you know so little 15 months on? :rolleyes:

noxibox

Honorary Master
“Herd immunity is only relevant if we have a transmission-blocking vaccine. If we don’t, then the only way to get herd immunity in the population is to give everyone the vaccine,”

If that is true then we don’t ever achieve herd immunity to chicken pox or measles. Neither vaccine blocks transmission. In reality what most vaccines do is reduce the chances of getting sick and of spreading a virus.

Neuk_

Executive Member
“Herd immunity is only relevant if we have a transmission-blocking vaccine. If we don’t, then the only way to get herd immunity in the population is to give everyone the vaccine,”

If that is true then we don’t ever achieve herd immunity to chicken pox or measles. Neither vaccine blocks transmission. In reality what most vaccines do is reduce the chances of getting sick and of spreading a virus.

As I understand vaccines, none prevent transmission themselves, they assist the human body in fighting whatever they are vaccinated for and in most cases this causes viral load to be low enough so mild to no symptoms are experienced which assists with minimizing transmission.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Family meeting @ 08:00. Decided to make Samp & Beans for supper with hadeda stew, pancakes for pudding and popcorn afterwards.

nvm gif don't work

lumeer

Expert Member

This reminds me of the the man who complained about a certain restaurant. "Their food was so bad! And the portions were so small!"

noxibox

Honorary Master
Not as familiar with what's going on in WC as with GP, but it seems to me that WC will keep their peak lower than the 2nd, but with a flat top that will last unfortunately longer before the numbers start dropping. The reason is that WC is in much better control of the epidemic, but unfortunately, still have to wait for the delta variant to burn itself out over a much wider area. Something like this?

Just a guess, nowhere near as confident about this prediction as with the GP one.

View attachment 1105288
In the second wave different locations reached their peak at different times. The Garden Route peaked in mid-December, whereas some parts of Cape Town peaked around the beginning of January and some in mid-January. In most locations numbers dropped rapidly following the peak.

Private hospitals under pressure as third wave hits Western Cape​

Linky
A week ago the hospitals had plenty of spare capacity and only a relatively small minority of patients were in hospital for COVID-19.

As I understand vaccines, none prevent transmission themselves, they assist the human body in fighting whatever they are vaccinated for and in most cases this causes viral load to be low enough so mild to no symptoms are experienced which assists with minimizing transmission.
That is how they work. But it is clear some people think they have magical properties. Hence some declaring SARS-CoV-2 vaccines not real vaccines, because they aren’t 100% effective.

It also isn’t helpful when supposed experts use imprecise, and inaccurate, language like blocking transmission.

now05ster

Expert Member
Oh, thank goodness. I can focus on this thread again as opposed to the looting ones.