South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

R13...

Honorary Master
Will be interesting to see the KZN stats over the coming week
KZN just doesn't seem to be testing or their test targeting is all out. They have almost as many excess deaths as GP even while GP leads the 3rd wave and KZN sitting near the middle.

Lupus

Honorary Master
KZN just doesn't seem to be testing or their test targeting is all out. They have almost as many excess deaths as GP even while GP leads the 3rd wave and KZN sitting near the middle.
What testing target? There isn't any testing target, testing is done voluntarily, it's not like they rock up to your door, kick it down and say right, take this nasal swab up the nose.

R13...

Honorary Master
What testing target? There isn't any testing target, testing is done voluntarily, it's not like they rock up to your door, kick it down and say right, take this nasal swab up the nose.
Whatever the reason there's little testing there.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Whatever the reason there's little testing there.
People volunteer to go test if they have symptoms or have been in contact with a covid positive person.

If there is little testing going on, it's usually because the two conditions are not present.

Lupus

Honorary Master
People volunteer to go test if they have symptoms or have been in contact with a covid positive person.

If there is little testing going on, it's usually because the two conditions are not present.
Lets not forget that KZN was literally a warzone last week.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Lets not forget that KZN was literally a warzone last week.
Fair enough. The situation is more normal for a week or so though, so I stand by the fact that there simply are not enough people testing cause they simply are not sick.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Fair enough. The situation is more normal for a week or so though, so I stand by the fact that there simply are not enough people testing cause they simply are not sick.
Yup, but this does seem to make people scratch their heads. How could we be hitting 90 000 tests 2 weeks ago but now only 30 000. It's like well maybe people aren't sick anymore, it's like a hard concept, they seem to think there was some mass testing.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I am still afraid tbh.

A girl on Tiktok in her late 20s was placed on a ventilator.She did recover but it is still scary.

It is like there isn't a pattern to covid.

A friend of mine lost a family member to covid & he was in late 30s

What happened to all the crap they initially told us? , "it only affects old people & people with health conditions".

None of the people I mentioned have underlying conditions.
Patterns exist over groups of people. Individual examples outside of overall pattern are normal. Just because I know someone who was fit and a regular cyclist yet keeled over and died in their 30s doesn't change the fact that such an occurrence is far more likely in someone who is unfit and older. Or that of the people I know in their 60s and 70s who have had COVID-19 only one was even really sick, yet still no worse than any respiratory infection they'd experienced before. The data though is clear that their chances of getting very sick and dying were far higher than a 30 year old.

Ultimately we can only do risk assessments based on group patterns.

They never claimed it only affected old people and those with health conditions. What we do have to keep in mind is that having an underlying condition doesn't mean the existence of overt symptoms. That's why saying a person was young, fit and healthy doesn't mean they had no underlying condition.

Excess deaths are nigh on 200 000. If your 2 million is correct that's basically 1 in 10. Does this change things for you?

India by itself has reported over 4 million excess deaths
But if you're going to use excess deaths you also need to use estimates of actual infections. In that case the total in South Africa is likely to be at least 10 million, but more probably 20 million.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So, then the increase in new cases from yesterday is nothing to worry about. Good to know.
Don't forget they also did a recalculation on the deaths over the last 2 days, so it gives these massive amounts, they only send another tweet saying oh by the way it's over the course of a couple of months.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Don't forget they also did a recalculation on the deaths over the last 2 days, so it gives these massive amounts, they only send another tweet saying oh by the way it's over the course of a couple of months.
See post #5614.

Meaningless numbers. More and more we see actual proof that the numbers are meaningless, but the chicken littles and death cultists cream their collective jeans everytime.

Lupus

Honorary Master
See post #5614.

Meaningless numbers. More and more we see actual proof that the numbers are meaningless, but the chicken littles and death cultists cream their collective jeans everytime.
Oh I've been saying it's meaningless to do such counting everyday, but I keep getting sh^3423t on from a dizzy height. I mean do we need to know every single day the number of positives? Especially since it's not even a daily number anyway, why the daily death updates? Why oh why is this the most watched disease ever?
I mean if we had to do this in the past, people would've never left the house, imagine, today we had 60 000 positive flu cases, sure only 1000 were severly sick, but hey 60 000.

Nod

Executive Member
Oh I've been saying it's meaningless to do such counting everyday, but I keep getting sh^3423t on from a dizzy height. I mean do we need to know every single day the number of positives? Especially since it's not even a daily number anyway, why the daily death updates? Why oh why is this the most watched disease ever?
I mean if we had to do this in the past, people would've never left the house, imagine, today we had 60 000 positive flu cases, sure only 1000 were severly sick, but hey 60 000.
Also, the counter have been going since last year. What happened to yearly stats?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Also, the counter have been going since last year. What happened to yearly stats?
Yup, I mean normally flu and stuff isn't even yearly, it's seasonal so it's only maybe 3 to 4 months a year, suddenly we are watching this virus over 18months??

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
SA does not have "test targets". The testing carried out here is in support of diagnosis except of course, those in the population who are testing out of panic, or being forced to test because of stupid policies that might be in place.

Daveogg

Expert Member
See post #5614.

Have you considered they may have no meaning for you ( and no one is forcing you to look at them ), but for some people, for example people running hospitals, they have a lot of meaning?