South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
but for some people, for example people running hospitals, they have a lot of meaning?
Great. Show us the number of hospitalisations vs the number of used and available hospital beds. I agree, that would be a meaningful number upon which one could do proper capacity planning.

The testing of random people with what is more and more proving to be around 50% false results is meaningless by any metric.

Daveogg

Expert Member
Great. Show us the number of hospitalisations vs the number of used and available hospital beds. I agree, that would be a meaningful number upon which one could do proper capacity planning.

The testing of random people with what is more and more proving to be around 50% false results is meaningless by any metric.
How many people have you tested? Of the thousands ( yes the number of people my practice has tested is in the thousands ), I am confident less than 1% are "false".

The point I was making is as things stand currently, hospitalizations follow case numbers (hopefully that link will be broken as in the UK, and hopefully as in the UK measures will then change). We use the current numbers to anticipate what will come to our doorstep in the next few weeks. This anticipation allows the hospital to take certain steps - like limiting or stopping elective surgery. Like changing ward formats from green, to yellow to red. Like cancelling leave, like employing "hospitalist" doctors etc.

You want us to operate blind - kwl don't be surprised then when the care we can offer is suboptimal.

harties

Lupus is under the delusion that the actuaries at SAMRC who calculate excess deaths thumb suck a number each week. He doesn't get that when they use the word estimate it is simply because they account for reporting delays. He also ignore the fact that the recent statssa mid-year population report correlates virtually perfectly with the excess death numbers.

He seems to think this whole thing is a hoax and no one is actually dying

Big four largest life insurance companies death numbers comparison vs the SAMRC (population) from ASSA. Insured population impact is even worse, which makes sense since the average insured population is higher.

https://assa.comodash.io/superset/dashboard/5/

1627251587625.png

Very bad day in the WC - probably highest ever # of cases (about 4600). Came out of no-where and to me, suggest to me that some of these must be delays. We were in the low 3000s last week. Just seems a bit weird to jump so quickly.

R13...

Honorary Master
Very bad day in the WC - probably highest ever # of cases (about 4600). Came out of no-where and to me, suggest to me that some of these must be delays. We were in the low 3000s last week. Just seems a bit weird to jump so quickly.
Not sure I read it right but at some point last week they were still pushing well over 35% positivity there.

cr@zydude

Executive Member

Well the WC govt did restrict testing again:

Testing for the following groups is available:
  • People who are symptomatic and 45 years and older;
  • All persons who are symptomatic with co-morbidities,
  • All persons who are symptomatic and in need of hospitalisation, healthcare workers, and people living in congregate settings.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Anyone know why the MRN Spike protein thread has been closed to further posts and replies?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

The W-Cape testing numbers are badly affected by the ongoing taxi-strikes:

noxibox

Honorary Master
Proper surveys with justifiable results that tie in with standard health practices in a surgical scenario? Would you like your surgeon sneezing over you whilst operating? Just curious.
Someone in this thread, can't be bothered to go back and look who, said doctors and dentists wear masks in surgery because it is a "tradition".

I think that says everything about the level of discourse in here.
Is a mask necessary in the operating theatre?

Disposable surgical face masks for preventing surgical wound infection in clean surgery

No mention of them in the NICE Surgical site infections: prevention and treatment guidelines.

I am going to consider that a credible lack of evidence in favour of the need for masks in surgery. It was surprising to find that what everyone seems to assume is an evidence-based practice appears not to be. Although not at all surprising that some people reacted as they did.

Probably because of the amount of dangerous fake news and personal attacks?
Most of those appeared to be coming from pro-vaccine fanatics who can't be bothered to use credible data to support their stance.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Ouch :ROFL:
Sends to an anti-vaxxer.
Vaccines or not, Discovery is well known for shifting the goalposts along the way. And never for the benefit of the other party.
Vitality points for sports and activity? Been slashed down to nothing and is still being adjusted every year. Downwards.
Regardless of what one does, they will always recoup costs in the end.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Vaccines or not, Discovery is well known for shifting the goalposts along the way. And never for the benefit of the other party.
Vitality points for sports and activity? Been slashed down to nothing and is still being adjusted every year. Downwards.
Regardless of what one does, they will always recoup costs in the end.
I dropped those pricks about 2 decades ago. They can kiss my ass.

krycor

Honorary Master
PSA: Month-end weekend with alcohol flowing after weeks of holding it back and it’s wet on the roads.

If you can, stay at home. WC, Cpt hospitals are full especially critical care.. now is not the time you want to be admitted to hospital after a drunk driver takes you out on the road!