South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Now I don't believe, like some on here, that the ANC "creates" waves for their own nefarious purposes (the ANC is both too incompetent for that and also SA doesn't do mass testing), but it does seem a bit suspicious that we are getting the lowest positivity rates since March 2020 a week before the election. If it rises quickly after the election, then I might change my view about the current conspiracy theory, however.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Now I don't believe, like some on here, that the ANC "creates" waves for their own nefarious purposes (the ANC is both too incompetent for that and also SA doesn't do mass testing), but it does seem a bit suspicious that we are getting the lowest positivity rates since March 2020 a week before the election. If it rises quickly after the election, then I might change my view about the current conspiracy theory, however.
It's been a few weeks of very low positivity to be fair, I mean anything under 3% was starting to look really good, even deaths look low. Current active cases is 18k in the whole country, that's pretty low as well.

nivek

Executive Member

Ghost64

Expert Member

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
SA doesn't do mass testing)
Yes. And I happen to agree with this decision. In my opinion, "testing" should be part of the diagnostic process only. Mass testing just feeds frenzy, fear and creates unnecessary hype. The Experts already have other ways to determine statistically, the extent and danger associated with an outbreak of a virus or other factor.
The existing disease monitoring facilities used in the country are and were adequate. What was not initially adequate was the capacity to ramp up testing to deal with this pandemic, which has been addressed and fixed.
but it does seem a bit suspicious that we are getting the lowest positivity rates since March 2020 a week before the election
Here is the problem. Most of us have lost all our faith in our government, so everything they say and do is considered suspicious. Add to that the since on the part of the experts. Before the election mania started, we were getting scientific feedback once or twice a week. Now, for a few weeks almost total silence.

There is a feeling that information is being suppressed.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
It's been a few weeks of very low positivity to be fair, I mean anything under 3% was starting to look really good, even deaths look low. Current active cases is 18k in the whole country, that's pretty low as well.

The 3rd wave in SA was largely due to the Delta variant, which hugely increased the transmission rate (compared to previous variants). That, plus the vaccine rollout, seems to have produced a partial herd immunity. I don't see the numbers increasing drastically anytime soon.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The 3rd wave in SA was largely due to the Delta variant,
:thumbsup:
which hugely increased the transmission rate (compared to previous variants).
:thumbsup:
That, plus the vaccine rollout, seems to have produced a partial herd immunity.
No. It is far too early in our rollout ( the overall vaccinated numbers are statistically just too low, except for the 60+ group to be having any effect on that infection rates. If anything, this has more to do with the numbers of people already infected which gives some credence to that claimed 80% number bandied about by Discovery.
I don't see the numbers increasing drastically anytime soon.
Agree. What is troublesome is the silence of the expert community (the MAC, and the scientists keeping track of new variants). I would be much happier if they would return to providing us all with weekly updates of what is going on. It would be reassuring if they also agreed that the numbers would not be increasing anytime soon. All we have are the politicians with their dire predictions of a 4th wave and that PWC scenario document.
Expecting the Premier of GP to start with his "eye of the storm" press conferences soon after the elections are over.

LiPO

There was a show on TV the other day, Zero to Zero, a real eye opener on what has been happening in the hospitals.