South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Turtle

Expert Member
Look at the Czech Republic. It's only been 32 years since the velvet revolution. Most people are still around that remember what soviet/communist oppression felt like.
When Communism (or some variation thereof) comes, what are your choices really?
A. Become one of the baddies
B. Stay and try fight it, maybe end up in a detention camp or dead
C. Stay, but stay neutral and live under reduced quality of life and restrained freedoms
D. Try escape to a better place, if you can
E. Other?

The earlier one tries to stop it the better, while there's still freedom of expression and freedom of protest.

But sadly the government dont think!

They rather hurt the economy with closing businesses

Government salaries are unaffected by lockdowns, so the officials who pass lockdown laws don't feel it, they just switch to Zoom. The people who lose their jobs and homes from the effects of businesses shutting down (some of whom end up committing suicide, or have to face their kids asking why there's no food) are the ones who feel it.

Turtle

Expert Member
For those who want an interesting interactive overview of the known Covid-19 'mutations family tree', check this very cool site (yes I know it's not new, anyone following the science will know this site already):

There are also various scientifically interesting datasets one can download. Likewise, this is also a great resource:

Many people probably don't realize how many variants there have been already.

We don't know much about the new variant yet, but according to this, "One small bright spot is that, to date, there are no signs that the variant causes more severe disease":

Still, even I agree people should take reasonable voluntary common sense precautions to limit unnecessary spread (even though I oppose lockdowns and curfews and alcohol bans)

vatie

This graph is interesting, so last year positivity rate was just crazy
The graph isn't accurate though. He posted a link to the nicd website in an attempt to give his post validity because he knows full well 99% of folk won't follow up on it to validate it. Followed that link but could not find the graph I see above, correct me if I am wrong please I may just be blind as a bat. Also, Google "Phil Kerpen", the guy has strong political interests and that is an immediate red flag.

This is what I could find, percent positive is edging up to 10% and rising. Admittedly this isn't the 7 day MA but just looking at it by the eye it looks pretty obvious that there is a difference:

1638085041709.png

vatie

rvZA

Honorary Master
Australia detects first Covid-19 Omicron infections

Health officials on Sunday said they had detected the Covid-19 Omicron strain in Australia for the first time, in two passengers who were tested after flying into Sydney from southern Africa.

The eastern state of New South Wales' health authority said it had conducted urgent genomic testing and confirmed the new strain was present in the two people who landed in Sydney on Saturday.

Both passengers came from southern Africa and arrived in Australia on a Qatar Airways flight via Doha, NSW Health said in a statement.

They tested positive for Covid-19 shortly after arriving, leading to an urgent analysis for possible infection by the heavily mutated Omicron strain.

"The two positive cases, who were asymptomatic, are in isolation in the special health accommodation. Both people are fully vaccinated," NSW Health said.

Another 12 passengers from southern Africa on the same flight did not test positive for Covid-19, but had been placed in quarantine, it said.

About 260 passengers and crew on the plane have also been told to isolate, the health authority said.

The plane with the infected passengers landed on the same day that Australia announced it was banning flights from nine southern African countries, including South Africa and Zimbabwe.

The World Health Organisation has listed Omicron as a variant of concern and said it could take several weeks to know if there are significant changes in transmissibility, severity, or implications for Covid-19 vaccines, tests and treatments.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The graph isn't accurate though. He posted a link to the nicd website in an attempt to give his post validity because he knows full well 99% of folk won't follow up on it to validate it. Followed that link but could not find the graph I see above, correct me if I am wrong please I may just be blind as a bat. Also, Google "Phil Kerpen", the guy has strong political interests and that is an immediate red flag.

This is what I could find, percent positive is edging up to 10% and rising. Admittedly this isn't the 7 day MA but just looking at it by the eye it looks pretty obvious that there is a difference:

View attachment 1202760
Looking at this
The graph is pretty okay, looking at the week 53 testing from 2020.

'Percentage testing positive decreased from a peak of 30.3% in week 29 to 9.4%
in week 43. In week 53 the percentage testing positive was 38.9%, the highest
observed since testing began.'

vatie

Looking at this
The graph is pretty okay, looking at the week 53 testing from 2020.

'Percentage testing positive decreased from a peak of 30.3% in week 29 to 9.4%
in week 43. In week 53 the percentage testing positive was 38.9%, the highest
observed since testing began.'
Yeah some parts look right , like the highs but the rest seems somewhat questionable - for example the recent percent positive is higher than shown in his graph. And it is his graph, not the NICD's

EvoX

As the vaccine wanes the virus will breakthrough it eventually and get stronger which explains how the new variant has 10 tentacles to infect the lung tissue.
The virus was mutating and in its evolution it was growing more tentacles toll it eventually got through. Beta had 3 tentacles and delta had 2, omicron has 10.