South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
This variant is looking tamer than the previous ones. CR better not do the same.
Damn straight. The Squirrel twat and that moron in a doek better make with the ****ing level 5 crackdown before all is lost.

This is the time to lock it down and eradicate the virus for good. Protect livelihoods, but focus on saving lives and preparing the hospitals.

buchanan8

How come then, the ewn news on 702 yesterday morning, said the capital city was in turmoil, and painted a picture that suggested SBAH was on the brink of collapse due to the mass influx of covid patients?
I remember Adriaan Basson, editor at News24, demanding level 5 lockdown during the 3rd wave earlier this year. Media love to fan fear and sensation.

R13...

Honorary Master
Damn straight. The Squirrel twat and that moron in a doek better make with the ****ing level 5 crackdown before all is lost.

This is the time to lock it down and eradicate the virus for good. Protect livelihoods, but focus on saving lives and preparing the hospitals.
Lol, I see you caught my second ninja edit. I had said something about travel bans that's why there is CR in there. But really, it's a good chance to let people build up some immunity by just letting this burn through a bit.
I mean be sensible but no lockdowns.

flytek

This just proves my point, I was actually saying you need to calm down in general I never said anything about any article you’re just on a rampage attacking everyone.
The quote of mine you posted was entirely calm and the context was the article and my previous post on it.
I will calm down when the zealots quit their mass hysteria and stop supporting the stripping of peoples rights and freedoms.

semaphore

Honorary Master
The quote of mine you posted was entirely calm and the context was the article and my previous post on it.
I will calm down when the zealots quit their mass hysteria and stop supporting the stripping of peoples rights and freedoms.
*Shrug* you're the one that's going to suffer in the long run with constant cortisol production and in all fairness, you're coming across as hysterical yourself.

flytek

*Shrug* you're the one that's going to suffer in the long run with constant cortisol production and in all fairness, you're coming across as hysterical yourself.
When was the last time telling someone to calm down has worked for you?
Or are you just trying to make **** like the rest of the trolls?

semaphore

Honorary Master
When was the last time telling someone to calm down has worked for you?
Or are you just trying to make **** like the rest of the trolls?
So you now admit that you're not calm, but here I thought you were calm already. You are as inconsistent in your own emotions as you are in the rubbish you post. Also, last night :)

flytek

So you now admit that you're not calm, but here I thought you were calm already. You are as inconsistent in your own emotions as you are in the rubbish you post. Also, last night :)
Quit making stuff up and trying to bait me. Was it you that got so triggered you reported posts?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
702 talking about something other than racism, thats a change
Don't listen to 702 anymore at all. Not that we tune in to any radio stations except when in a car.

Last edited:

nivek

Honorary Master
Quite a detailed breakdown of hospitalizations in PTA. Encouraging news so far.
Some serious selective quoting by BusinessTech here:

“Our admissions are doubling every day,” said Fareed Abdullah, director at the South African Medical Research Council and an infectious disease doctor at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria, the capital. Still, while it remains too early to tell, the current wave of infections appears to be different from earlier ones, he said."

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
11k is high for Sunday right ?
not particularly different from previous weekend figures relatively speaking. Omicron also appears to take the weekend off. Though I think what we are seeing here is the impact of the lateral flow tests being carried out as they are not laboratory dependent. ( ie. more tests carried out and recorded over the weekend than previously}.

flytek

Its almost too much to hope that omicron is less deadly than the previous strains.
With 70% or more previously infected and 30% of the remainder vaccinated including an even bigger proportion of the higher risk categories we might finally see stats like the highly vaccinated countries with many infections but fewer deaths.
Holding thumbs here.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Some serious selective quoting by BusinessTech here:

“Our admissions are doubling every day,” said Fareed Abdullah, director at the South African Medical Research Council and an infectious disease doctor at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria, the capital. Still, while it remains too early to tell, the current wave of infections appears to be different from earlier ones, he said."
Yes, unfortunately every paper seems to be excluding the following part
A snapshot of 42 patients in the ward on 2 December 2021 reveals that 29 (70%) are not oxygen dependent . These patients are saturating well on room air and do not present with any respiratory symptoms. These are the patients that we would call ‘incidental COVID admissions’, having had another medical or surgical reason for admission