South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Lupus

Honorary Master
It is already clear globally that double vaccinated people do die. In fact in New South Wales, Australia, there were 479 Covid deaths between 16 June and 18 October. Of these, 61 were fully vaccinated. We have seen similar, even higher death numbers under fully vaccinates people in the US, UK, Israel and Europe. The excuses for these deaths are simply the same across the globe - the deceased must have had underlying conditions. No one can, however, say what the conditions are.

So, for now, safe to assume at least 12% and more Covid deaths will be that of fully vaccinated people.
Here is hopefully an analogy you can understand.
There are 100 soldiers, they've just been introduced to helmets. 80 of the soldiers are like sure we will take them, the other 20 are like no thanks we've survived without them for so long and they are heavy and cause me to sweat.
Those 100 soldiers go into battle and the results are in, 5 of the non helmeted soldiers are dead, but 20 of the 80 helmeted were also hit and sadly 10 died.
So now it seems helmets kill more soldiers then those that didn't wear them. But proportionality comes into place here, sure 25% of both groups got hit but less of the helmeted died.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Here is hopefully an analogy you can understand.
There are 100 soldiers, they've just been introduced to helmets. 80 of the soldiers are like sure we will take them, the other 20 are like no thanks we've survived without them for so long and they are heavy and cause me to sweat.
Those 100 soldiers go into battle and the results are in, 5 of the non helmeted soldiers are dead, but 20 of the 80 helmeted were also hit and sadly 10 died.
So now it seems helmets kill more soldiers then those that didn't wear them. But proportionality comes into place here, sure 25% of both groups got hit but less of the helmeted died.
Sorry @Lupus, the problem is that 85-90 of your 100 soldiers wilk never leave the barracks. So no, 100 of the do not go to battle (of they all did, that would be a different story) .

Apart from that, it's clear what you were trying to put across.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sorry @Lupus, the problem is that 85-90 of your 100 soldiers wilk never leave the barracks. So no, 100 of the do not go to battle (of they all did, that would be a different story) .

Apart from that, it's clear what you were trying to put across.
No those are the ones that go into battle, we aren't counting ones in the barracks which could be 10 000.

tetrasect

Executive Member
FGBhgS5X0AQm_XW

zoozi

Expert Member
Okay so 2 weeks into omicron and deaths are still low, so we wait another 2 weeks and wait for them to do some data dump?
Yeah I'm having a real hard time making sense of this wave with this ****up... Do we have any barometer for omicron hospitalization risk yet? Haven't been following.

Hush9300

Expert Member
Seems Gauteng has hit a brick wall and it’s levelling off somewhat or people just not testing. I remember driving by the testing centres during the 3rd wave and they were packed. It’s business as usual now though.

tetrasect

Executive Member
Seems Gauteng has hit a brick wall and it’s levelling off somewhat or people just not testing. I remember driving by the testing centres during the 3rd wave and they were packed. It’s business as usual now though.

Exactly, seems this one is so mild that nobody is bothering.

I mean, 805 cases in the whole of the Western Cape? :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

There's probably 805 matriculants that got infected at the pub down the street last night.

Lupus

Honorary Master

There's probably 805 matriculants that got infected at the pub down the street last night.
Generally today's numbers aren't today's numbers, they could be from last week. It's the ones collated today

Wednesday is the 'big day' generally in terms of # of tests done (it's tests from Monday and Tuesday really). Wed to Sat are the best days for the trajectory. But I see Tuesday had quite a large number of tests done today. I'd expect ~65000-70000 tests to be done tomorrow.

Last edited: