South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Apparently 40% of adults are vaccinated but the numbers are available on the nicd website if you want breakdowns.
The point is there are multiple independent variables which are affecting the dependant variable you are quoting. You're just giving one of them, forgetting that correlation does not equal causation, not to mention there is probably heavy sampling bias at play.

marvelguy

They really need to stop with the fear pawn.

All trust with these organisations has already been eroded.

Now is the time for complete transparency.

Omnicron is milder vs Delta regardless of one's age group and comorbidities.

These stats need to be further scrutinised and broken down because Omnicron is a completely different situation to Delta.

Temujin

Honorary Master

marvelguy

Regardless of your membership status, vaxxed/unvaxxed/semivaxxed/vaxxedprime/whatever, thats a farkin tiny number of folks in hospital... quick get vaxxed or you have 0.009% chance of ending up in hospital and 0.000001% chance of being in icu... no wonder the narrative has collapsed

That is real data amirite? Not just demo sample stuff yes
Each to their own.
Basically the emotional blackmail promoting vaccination has to end now.

The Omnicron data doesn't justify vaccination and natural immunity is looking more superior than vaccine induced immunity.

All of the talk of mandates and other kak need to fall away.

Discovery also need to drop their vaccination mandates to retain credibility.

The Curro staff that were retrenched need to sue their employers into oblivion.

The case for mandating vaccination is falling apart with each day & ongoing research.

Paulsie

Expert Member
The point is there are multiple independent variables which are affecting the dependant variable you are quoting. You're just giving one of them, forgetting that correlation does not equal causation, not to mention there is probably heavy sampling bias at play.
Doesn't it work both ways though? What about all the "look at the unvacvinated numbers in ICUs"?

Candystore

Expert Member
1. Like with the first round (and the second, in case of Pfizer) of vaccinations, does government (EVDS) also send out SMSes for those eligible for booster shots, or is this up to the individual?

2. Does Discovery (or any other provider) offer the option of having someone come to your house to vaccinate you, in case of people who are unable to travel to a site?

rvZA

Honorary Master
So, today I was forced to sit almost 4 hours inside a hospital, at the reception of an emergency room. Was a bit nervous considering the news on the thousands and thousands of Covid patients ending up in hospitals on a daily basis, full hospitals and shortage of beds. So, I decided to first make a stop and buy an N95 mask for this trip, since this is a big and often extremely busy hospital.

I was stunned to see massive total of only 4 admissions during the more than 4 hours I spent there. Crazy stuff. An old lady had a stroke. Saw a mom with a 2 year old who has pneumonia. Saw a guy coming in, blood dripping all over the place as he lost one or more fingers in some lawn mower accident and lastly some young guy being admitted for apparently nothing, but he is due for surgery tommorow morning for his knee.

Was waiting to see when all those covid patients came in. But, alas, I was disappointed.

Daveogg

Expert Member
So, today I was forced to sit almost 4 hours inside a hospital, at the reception of an emergency room. Was a bit nervous considering the news on the thousands and thousands of Covid patients ending up in hospitals on a daily basis, full hospitals and shortage of beds. So, I decided to first make a stop and buy an N95 mask for this trip, since this is a big and often extremely busy hospital.

I was stunned to see massive total of only 4 admissions during the more than 4 hours I spent there. Crazy stuff. An old lady had a stroke. Saw a mom with a 2 year old who has pneumonia. Saw a guy coming in, blood dripping all over the place as he lost one or more fingers in some lawn mower accident and lastly some young guy being admitted for apparently nothing, but he is due for surgery tommorow morning for his knee.

Was waiting to see when all those covid patients came in. But, alas, I was disappointed.
I am confused where are you based ZA?

R13...

Honorary Master

There is no hospital capacity for 1000s and 1000s of patients daily. You should learn to read, the hospitalization numbers are published.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

It’s quite remarkable how some people are so willing to put their stupidly on view for the world to see.

Just. Wow.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
It’s quite remarkable how some people are so willing to put their stupidly on view for the world to see.

Just. Wow.
It's @rvZA ,he's a melodramatic preteen on an average day
Easier to project angsty rage than accept he's an insignificant ant,and the real world will keep going even if he closes his eyes in disbelief

Western Cape study shows why Omicron wave caused less death​

High rates of vaccination, past infections and the variant itself helped suppress deaths and hospitalisations​

18 JANUARY 2022 - 08:30JAMES STENT

File photo: GALLO IMAGES/ER LOMBARD
File photo: GALLO IMAGES/ER LOMBARD
A new study has shown that the Omicron wave in the Western Cape was much less deadly than previous waves, owing to vaccination, high rates of past infection in the community, and reduced risk of severe disease and death owing to the variant itself.
More than 5,000 adult Covid patients were surveyed during one month of the fourth wave of the pandemic, and were compared to 11,000 patients from previous waves. The researchers were looking to understand the relative risk of each wave of Covid infections, when adjusted to account for vaccination and past infection, as well as age, sex, location and co-morbidities.
The study was led by Prof Mary-Ann Davies, director of the Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology & Research at the University of Cape Town, working in collaboration with 46 others from the Western Cape department of health; the national department of health; the National Health Laboratory Service; the Universities of Cape Town, Stellenbosch, the Witwatersrand, and KwaZulu-Natal; the Francis Crick Institute; and Imperial College London. Their paper is a preprint and has not yet been peer-reviewed.
According to the authors, this is “the first study from a setting of high prior seroprevalence to demonstrate less severe disease in wave four”, adjusted for vaccination and prior diagnosed infection. The study sought to answer if past infection or vaccination still protected people exposed to Omicron, and the extent to which this protection was causing milder cases – or if Omicron is inherently less dangerous.
When adjusting for vaccination, there was a 59% reduced risk of death and 28% reduced risk of severe disease from infection during the fourth wave compared to previous waves. This indicates that vaccination is associated with a strongly reduced risk of death and severe disease.
When past infections were taken into account, the risk of hospitalisation and death was reduced by 25%. The authors suggest that this indicates that the Omicron variant is inherently less dangerous than past waves – in particular the Delta-dominated third wave.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Just a reminder to all the peeps in SA, that even though we tend to focus on covid, there are still other diseases that we must watch out for. Namely malaria.

Despite South Africa entering its peak malaria season, many malaria cases are being misdiagnosed as COVID-19. Both malaria and COVID-19 have similar non-specific early symptoms including fever, chills, headaches, fatigue and muscle pain. Undiagnosed and untreated malaria rapidly progresses to severe illness, with a potentially fatal outcome.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Each to their own.
Basically the emotional blackmail promoting vaccination has to end now.

The Omnicron data doesn't justify vaccination and natural immunity is looking more superior than vaccine induced immunity.

All of the talk of mandates and other kak need to fall away.

Discovery also need to drop their vaccination mandates to retain credibility.

The Curro staff that were retrenched need to sue their employers into oblivion.

The case for mandating vaccination is falling apart with each day & ongoing research.

Its not the "Narrative" that is changing its the situation.