South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

Brian_G

Expert Member
Yes, but its a random dice roll on whether its going to hit you, and with what. Sure you can be hit by a car tomorrow, and that could be much worse.

That doesn't mean that this should be discounted or made light of.
Absolutely agree.

Doesn't mean the world should lock down either.
And amateur masks, discussed in great length here with expert opinion, do too little to really count.

djbrendan

Expert Member
What about people ( quite a lot of the numbers) that don't even know they had rona? Just felt a bit pap and went on with their day.

noxibox

Honorary Master
That sets this virus apart from flu, is the blood clotting.
Reminds me of someone who swore the difference was the gastrointestinal damage. But turns out influenza can induce that too. Along with long-term fatigue and other debilitating problems.

What's really evident is how oblivious we generally are to other respiratory infections we're used to having around and take for granted.

For many it’s just a flu till someone you are close to gets very sick.
It'll never be a 'flu. because it's the wrong sort of virus. However someone I know getting really sick and dying wouldn't provide me even an iota of risk information. Can you right now tell me the likelihood of someone catching and then dying from COVID-19?

People keep crying wolf and are then surprised that they're no longer being taken seriously.

Same goes to people still arguing about the efficacy of masks.
Until they make someone really sick?

noxibox

Honorary Master
Masks are on the bottom of the list of **** we should be arguing about. There are bigger over steps from the government that deserve this energy that we should be more vocal about, and stand up against. Masks aint it.
They become one of the things to oppose when governments mandate their widespread use. Sure the people who pop them on for 5 minutes a month think it's no big deal. I could think that way myself, but I've chosen to listen to and observe people who are being forced to wear them for hours on end.

Paulsie

Expert Member
I dont know man. Perhaps symptoms are similar but Covid seems to spread far easier than than the yearly flu strain, infecting far more people than normal. My friend who works at a government hospital in the EC has never seen the wards gets so full because of any other single condition. They are one of the bigger hospitals in the old Transkei region. She has worked there since 1991, anecdotal perhaps, but I dont think she sees this as a normal flu season.
I'm kind of split 50/50 between people not wanting to go to hospital due to catching it there vs the awareness raised about this and going in when they normally would not otherwise (think I will get better at home vs oh I might have covid, better get to hospital)

Simplified, but in a nutshell

zolly

Expert Member
They become one of the things to oppose when governments mandate their widespread use. Sure the people who pop them on for 5 minutes a month think it's no big deal. I could think that way myself, but I've chosen to listen to and observe people who are being forced to wear them for hours on end.

I'm guessing you're not speaking to doctors and nurses who about wearing masks while treating infectious patients? None of my friends in the medical field are complaining about wearing their masks.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I'm guessing you're not speaking to doctors and nurses who about wearing masks while treating infectious patients? None of my friends in the medical field are complaining about wearing their masks.
They use professional masks and follow professional medical guidelines. Has to make a difference.

sand_man

Honorary Master
e108bfc21844470340fbf9abcbfa5fa2.jpg

Nod

Executive Member
In an effort to curb the spread of Covid-19 during the busy festive season, law enforcement operations conducted on South Africa’s roads will include screenings for symptoms and even rapid antigen tests - designed to tell in a few minutes whether someone is infectious - where resources allow.

These preventative measures will be especially common for motorists and travellers returning to Gauteng towards the end of the holiday period. Concerns around the movement of residents from low-risk transmission areas, like Gauteng, to high-risk areas and hotspots, like Nelson Mandela Bay, have been raised by health experts, including chief ministerial advisor, professor Salim Abdool Karim.