South African Covid-19 News and Discussions 3

daveza

Honorary Master
Yes.

You understand the problem many of us have with the crackdown since the beginning? The State of Disaster and the implementation of the NCCCCC suspends many of your constitutional rights as a citizen of SA.
Where in the regulations is there mention of enforced random testing ?

noxibox

Honorary Master
Last week Western Cape hit 20 percent, which is far too high.
Western Cape government has messed up their calculation according to their own data. If it is 20% though then which area is reporting a very high rate? Look through the areas they list on their dashboard and see if you can find one over 10%. I couldn't. Either they're under-reporting individual areas or the total of 20% is wrong.

The way the Western Cape has calculated the overall percentage is to add all the individual percentages together. The way they've done it they'd be able to get a value over 100% if the rate went high enough in a few areas. In other words they'd be getting more positive results than tests being done.

And according to central government statistics last month, when the Western Cape was reporting 16%, the Western Cape was really under 10%. Looking at the numbers I'm inclined to believe they've done the calculation correctly.

garp

Executive Member
Anecdotal, I know, but a huge amount of people I know are suddenly being diagnosed with Covid.. in JHB, not the Cape. Which makes me wonder about Gauteng's supposed low amount of active cases vs the Cape.

Western Cape government has messed up their calculation according to their own data. If it is 20% though then which area is reporting a very high rate? Look through the areas they list on their dashboard and see if you can find one over 10%. I couldn't. Either they're under-reporting individual areas or the total of 20% is wrong.

The way the Western Cape has calculated the overall percentage is to add all the individual percentages together. The way they've done it they'd be able to get a value over 100% if the rate went high enough in a few areas. In other words they'd be getting more positive results than tests being done.

And according to central government statistics last month, when the Western Cape was reporting 16%, the Western Cape was really under 10%. Looking at the numbers I'm inclined to believe they've done the calculation correctly.

I'm getting the positivity rate from Sugan Naidoo, who in turns gets the data from the NICD.

1607442615859.png

noxibox

Honorary Master
I'm getting the positivity rate from Sugan Naidoo, who in turns gets the data from the NICD.
So they're showing the wrong number too. I thought they had it correct. Find one sub-district in the Western Cape that has a positivity rate over 10% in the data the Western Cape is publishing. There aren't even many over 5%.

Makes me wonder about the positivity rates being reported elsewhere in South Africa too then. Are they just summing the percentages from each area too?

So they're showing the wrong number too. I thought they had it correct. Find one sub-district in the Western Cape that has a positivity rate over 10% in the data the Western Cape is publishing. There aren't even many over 5%.

Makes me wonder about the positivity rates being reported elsewhere in South Africa too then. Are they just summing the percentages from each area too?

Where can you find positivity rates by sub-district? Best I can find on the WC dashboard is this (overall positivity rate for WC)

1607455668636.png

MiW

Expert Member
Lots of stuff , second wave Ag tests , probably GP will go the way of EC, WC
1607534593147.png 1607534607267.png 1607534620268.png