South African Covid-19 News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Except it is. Once you have the antibodies the virus can no longer infect you.
Do You Get Immunity After Recovering From A Case Of Coronavirus?

Researchers do know that reinfection is an issue with the four seasonal coronaviruses that cause about 10 to 30% of common colds. These coronaviruses seem to be able to sicken people again and again, even though people have been exposed to them since childhood.

"Almost everybody walking around, if you were to test their blood right now, they would have some levels of antibody to the four different coronaviruses that are known," says Ann Falsey of the University of Rochester Medical Center.

After infection with one of these viruses, she says, antibodies are produced but then the levels slowly decline and people become susceptible again.

"Most respiratory viruses only give you a period of relative protection. I'm talking about a year or two. That's what we know about the seasonal coronaviruses," says Falsey.

We are not really sure about this.

Jings

Treasure Maker
Former Olympic swimming champion Cameron van der Burgh discusses his bout of COVID-19.

"I have been struggling with Covid-19 for 14 days today,"
South Africa's van der Burgh wrote on Twitter. "By far the worst virus I have ever endured despite being a healthy individual with strong lungs (no smoking/sport), living a healthy lifestyle and being young (least at risk demographic)."

quovadis

Executive Member
I believe without evidence that we have had deaths, they have just been misdiagnosed / untested.

My understanding is they have started just recently testing samples from deceased persons who have died from respiratory ailments.

Jings

Treasure Maker
That's not a good sign for the rest of us :(

/pops another vitamin

Yep, it's a type of mystery we really don't need. We need to know why there are young, healthy individuals struggling with the virus while others are asymptomatic or display very mild symptoms.

MiW

Expert Member
Yep, it's a type of mystery we really don't need. We need to know why there are young, healthy individuals struggling with the virus while others are asymptomatic or display very mild symptoms.
Judging by the death of young Doctors , nurses, ER and shop workers, and the relatively good condition of Placido Domingo and others in his age bracket , seems to be related with the initial dose you picked up. Just my personal conclusion.

Milano

Honorary Master
Judging by the death of young Doctors , nurses, ER and shop workers, and the relatively good condition of Placido Domingo and others in his age bracket , seems to be related with the initial dose you picked up. Just my personal conclusion.

That may well be, not all initial viral loads are equal.

sand_man

Honorary Master

Lupus

Honorary Master
Because some people get hit hard and some don't, with any disease.

dlk001

Executive Member
Amazing how we don't have any criticals or deaths. We must have the best healthcare system in the world as well as one of the healthiest populaces..

Apparently it is because we are on anti-malaria drugs. The clever people in the USA seem to think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.