South African Covid-19 News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicks

The chances of being killed by a TAXI driver is most probably higher here in SA than the chances of actually getting and die from the coronavirus.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The chances of being killed by a TAXI driver is most probably higher here in SA than the chances of actually getting and die from the coronavirus.
Or we have already had it and gotten over it.

Temujin

Executive Member
Is that more or less than normal I wonder... We aren't allowed booze and smokes cos they cause gender based violence apparently.
Haven't searched stats, but I'm gonna guess its a good 30-40% of annual reports
And problem is, that'll be a tiny percentage. Think about all those people now stuck in houses with their abuser 24/7... normally they'd wait for them to piss off to get more booze or pass out or something before making a call, now they're well and truly ****ed

AirWolf

Honorary Master

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Apparently we are up to eight deaths now, but the additional three will be added to the count tomorrow?

One is Gita Ramjee, and the other two:

I also now know of two people that I was good friends with that were on the MSC Orchestra. Eish.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
And SABC TV just announces the Western Cape can sell cigarettes. :rolleyes:
So does eNCA (reports on the WC ruling) and then withdraws it in the same news broadcast after Don Bheki's presentation. And later news BCs on SABC did the same.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Apparently we are up to eight deaths now, but the additional three will be added to the count tomorrow?

One is Gita Ramjee, and the other two:

I also now know of two people that I was good friends with that were on the MSC Orchestra. Eish.
But be fair, The Health Minister did say there were more deaths but that the stats will only change after the data verification process has been completed and facts have been confirmed. Sounds pretty reasonable way to do things.

Forum Reader

Some figures:

Current lowest prediction is 55000 cases in SA by end of April and we will need an additional 2500 ICU beds with that number of cases. SA currently has 3200 ICU beds (2200 Private, 1000 Public), most of which are occupied.

20200402_144230[1].jpg

20200402_144451[1].jpg

Last edited:

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Some figures:

Current lowest prediction is 55000 cases in SA by end of April and we will need an additional 2500 ICU beds with that number of cases. SA currently has 3200 ICU beds (2200 Private, 1000 Public), most of which are occupied.

View attachment 811321

View attachment 811323
I thought it was 3500 ICU beds in private, and about 2500 in public. Est about 6000 ventilators in the country. about 5% of infected will need ventilation so at 10,000 cases about 500 ventilators. About 15% will need oxygen, so about 1,500 acute care beds per 10,000 cases.

Lockdown I rate is either going to work and be extended for month's, or we give up and follow Spain.

Forum Reader

I thought it was 3500 ICU beds in private, and about 2500 in public. Est about 6000 ventilators in the country. about 5% of infected will need ventilation so at 10,000 cases about 500 ventilators. About 15% will need oxygen, so about 1,500 acute care beds per 10,000 cases.

Lockdown I rate is either going to work and be extended for month's, or we give up and follow Spain.
Those charts are from a Discovery internal presentation today. They differentiate between ICU and critical care beds. Think you are maybe referring to this article which includes the critical care beds.

Alex van den Heever, a professor of social security and management studies at the Wits School of Governance, said one of the health system's vulnerabilities was its number of critical care beds.

He added, based on figures from around 2013, there were 4 957 critical care beds in the private sector and 2 238 in the public healthcare sector. Occupancy in state hospitals is around 80%, with about 50% of critical care beds available for use in private hospitals.

Based on these figures, less than 3 000 critical care beds are theoretically available for use.

Van den Heever said about half of that - 1 500 - were intensive care beds which were necessary if a patient needed to be on a ventilator fulltime.

Misanthrope

After Week 1 of the lockdown I concluded the following:

Good intentions cannot make up for the level of stupidity in the government

Even military vehicles are no match for minibus taxis

Black marketeers are going to become very rich in the next 2 weeks

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Parents 2, siblings ( say 5 ), children ( say 5 ) grandparents 4 - that's not even 20.
For Indians if you know exactly how a person is related to you that automatically makes them a close relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.