South African Covid-19 News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Antibody testing should be ramped up here so that the recovered and immune can be identified - so that they can return to work. At any rate, this should be one of the early goals.
I just read an article where the global scientific community is unsure of how recovery and immunity work for this particular virus and that the recovered need to remain isolated.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Just got to Spargs Superspar (biggest Spar in Africa). My wife has gone in to get essentials and I have stayed in the car to observe the single shopper rule.

This parking lot is pumping. Tons of cars and I had to actually browse for a parking. Suburbs are starting to get sick and tired of sitting at home and are making a grocery store visit a social event.

Also seeing lots of couples go in together. Total BS.

EDIT: Only reason we both came in the car is because we were at the office this morning getting her paperwork for closing March and I grabbed the server to work from home instead of remoting in.

Last edited:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Link please.
Here's one in the interim (with links to others in the article.)
2. Am I still infectious after recovering?
Probably to some extent, though the first batch of studies is far from conclusive as to how long it lasts. Provisional research from Germany has suggested that COVID-19 infectiousness – in contrast to the 2003 SARS outbreak – peaks early and that recovering patients with mild symptoms become low-risk around 10 days after they first fall ill. But another study, following four medical professionals treated at a Wuhan hospital, revealed that traces of the virus could persist in the body for up to two weeks after symptoms had vanished; as the patients were no longer coughing or sneezing, the potential means of transmission were albeit much reduced. Less optimistic was a study published last week in The Lancet medical journal that showed the virus survived in one Chinese patient’s respiratory tract for 37 days – well above the average of 24 days for those with critical disease status.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-recovery-what-happens-after-covid19/

I'll find the original one I was referring to though.

themba990

Expert Member
Just got to Spargs Superspar (biggest Spar in Africa). My wife has gone in to get essentials and I have stayed in the car to observe the single shopper rule.

This parking lot is pumping. Tons of cars and I had to actually browse for a parking. Suburbs are starting to get sick and tired of sitting at home and are making a grocery store visit a social event.

Also seeing lots of couples go in together. Total BS.

EDIT: Only reason we both came in the car is because we were at the office this morning getting her paperwork for closing March and I grabbed the server to work from home instead of remoting in.
I thought you weren’t even allowed to be driving together.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I thought you weren’t even allowed to be driving together.
Plenty of confusion. The new rule (last night's) say 60% and 50% for passenger cars, which means 3 or 2.5 persons.
Sitting together at the front a no no according to some. (not even eNCA with their reporter are adhering to this restriction).

Two travelling, one going into the shop --- already enough to get some police officers frothing at the mouth.
Walking to the shops --- apparently not allowed. must go by car. A bit daft this one.(can't anyway as the gate on our side is locked off, making the walk now a real problem.

But still, the bigger issue is the confusion about what you can and can't buy.

hexagon

Brian_G

Expert Member
Walking to the shops --- apparently not allowed. must go by car. A bit daft this one.(can't anyway as the gate on our side is locked off, making the walk now a real problem.
I later heard that it is allowed, quite certain as I made a strong mental note of it at the time but can't give a sure source.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Something came up on a CNN interview with Chris Cuomo and Dr Sanjay Gupta about rigors. Rigors are a sudden attack of severe shivering accompanied by a feeling of coldness, like chills, and is associated often with a marked rise in body temperature. It is like an attack of uncontrollable shaking.

When I got a bacterial infection last year from wisdom tooth complications, I had rigors every 30 minutes while my fever went up and down. It was horrible lying in bed and shaking and shivering uncontrollably, I had to bite down on something to stop my teeth from chattering. I get mini-rigors every now and then when my body temp drops from the environment and I put on warmer stuff, giving me chills for about two minutes.

While fever is associated with COVID-19, one of the hallmarks of a climbing fever is an attack of rigors, and it's an indicator that your temperature is rising rapidly.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I watched some hilarious footage on the SABC TV news. Earnest looking TV reporter standing outside the entrance, sounding half-hysterical, and reporting live to the studio...

Edit: Turns out the true story is very different:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.