South African Covid-19 News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supervan II

Expert Member

tin4444

My interpretation is 180 degrees the opposite. One patient could have been entirely healthy, and got infected by a hospital staff member, who had contact with another infected patient.
That is also possible, all 3 didn’t have any of the symptoms according to story.

But still would probably mean local transmission was occurring prior to identifying patient one, unless some hospital staff had travelled recently.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Bored Panda is great for bored people. That's us.
I was reading this and recalled there were quite a few posts a while back about the lack of yeast in the shops.

daveza

Honorary Master

The police's head of lockdown enforcement Major-General Andre Lincoln says officers will act against those who sell or buy cigarettes.
This is despite Premier Alan Winde's announcement that the "ban" on cigarette sales has been lifted in the Western Cape.

Lincoln maintains that cigarettes are not listed as an essential item in the lockdown regulations, and therefore cannot be bought or sold.

Lincoln, who also heads the police's anti-gang unit, says over 2,000 arrests have been made since the start of the lockdown seven days ago.

Cigarette dependent people hunted down by the anti-gang unit.

Just peachy.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No not as it is now. Nowhere near in fact. It's astounding that so many here cannot see this clearly. This is simple logic and you guys are being daft.
This discussion should continue in this dedicated thread:

And there, you can explain how different shops can decide to sell or not sell items, based on the interpretation of the stupid rules drawn up by COGTA.

We can start with a few simple ones:

1. Sell toothpaste (presumably because the "rules" mention toothpaste) but not toothbrushes.
2. Sell anything related to feminine hygiene but refuse to sell men's deodorant.
3. Refuse to sell paraffin related products but sell braai wood and charcoal.
4. Sell a 3-plate stove ( because it is needed for cooking food) but won't sell a pan or a pot.
And so we can go on and on with a long list of products, all based on the stupidity of the rules combined with the stupid interpretations of various retailers and shop owners.

Please don't answer here but in the other thread, IF you have the guts to try and provide the logic behind the "list of essentials" which you apparently believe was provided to the committee by a higher entity on Mount Ararat.

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
All quick tests are apparently considered inaccurate by professionals. Some are in final trials though so it could change soon-ish.

Source is from a C.T. professor, can find the link again if needed.
Correct. The rapid tests for influenza are very inaccurate. I can't imagine that a rapid coronavirus test would be any better.

The SANDF is doing our global human rights perception any good. Skop, skiet en donder, that is all they heard.
So nothing much has changed in 40 years.

Very alarming that the first patient was admitted on 9 March and had no history of travel. Local transmission was likely occurring already by the time we identified patient one then.
Sounds to me like they were admitted for something else and contracted it while in hospital. The article is lacking information. When were they tested? When did they develop symptoms?

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
That is also possible, all 3 didn’t have any of the symptoms according to story.

But still would probably mean local transmission was occurring prior to identifying patient one, unless some hospital staff had travelled recently.
Incubation period is anything from a couple of days to twelve days, with rare outliers. It can be fatal within days, but might take weeks. So it is possible they were infected a week ago while in hospital. Unfortunately the news article is the usual confused mess of information. We don't know if any hospital staff had travelled, but they could have.

The first traveller was confirmed infected on 5 March. These people went to hospital for some undisclosed reason days or a week, or more, later and became sick at some unknown time after being admitted.

South Korea's method of tracing possible contacts makes pretty good sense. They pull the person's movement data from their mobile phone, strip out all personally identifying information, then put it online so anyone can check if they were in the same places at the same time.

noxibox

Honorary Master

Cigarette dependent people hunted down by the anti-gang unit.

Just peachy.
Police forces tend to attract bullies, so no real surprises there.

The question is whether they're going to spread themselves even thinner by trying to enforce this stupid ban in the suburbs where people are pretty much following the lockdown by staying on their own property and only going out when they really have to? I wouldn't be surprised knowing the police's longstanding love of going after soft targets.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Gee! Do I love living in this remote town.....One road in since the South Africans closed the border last month....
Local town council setup a checkpoint in the desert outside of town, everyone gets checked and questioned.

Our part, well we supply free food and drinks daily to the staff out there...

This morning I was sitting on the forklift when a voice next to me spoke. "Morning Moose how are you?"

It was one of the local council lads who went on to inform me that my SPAR truck would be arriving shortly and they have given them two hours to offload and leave the town. Under no circumstances must my staff interact with the driver who has been instructed to remain in his cab.

They then parked the council bus near the truck and kept an eye on the driver.....

I was impressed, the council had stepped up and for the past three weeks have taken this issue very seriously...

I have had the Station Commander come visit me, the Duty Sergeant and the head of the local Covoid Task team with the Health Inspector..... The mine has setup designated quarantine locations outside the town......

It was explained at a meeting last week, (where we all sat two meters apart) that the Namibian Government derived 70% of their income from this here town's mining activities and could not afford for the place to shut and should be protected at all cost......

Think I might have a beer with my steak this afternoon.... :sneaky:

daveza

Honorary Master

Mass evacuation of SA townships on the cards to stop spread of coronavirus
Cape Town - Mass evacuation plans are at an advanced stage to possibly move tens of thousands of people across four provinces in South Africa.
Entire townships in the Western Cape, Gauteng, the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal are to be moved to safe zones in a bid to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
Things are going to burn.

Grant

Honorary Master
Where to? With what? Oh, we know the answer to that one, with taxis.
MIght as well spray Covid 19 laden water over the areas concerned, it will be faster and easier.

Takes fake news and propaganda to a new level.
test them and move them into the thousands of empty airbnb properties that litter the western cape

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice in Wonderland would say:
The Folweni police station south of Durban in KwaZulu-Natal has been temporarily evacuated after a police officer stationed there tested positive for Covid-19.

The officer was admitted to a Durban hospital with an unknown illness on March 23, confirmed national police spokesperson Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo.

The officer has been admitted to St Augustine's Hospital, according to Times Live, and so far no other officers have appeared to show symptoms of the coronavirus.
The same hospital that 9 nurses tested positive, and had to lockdown and disinfect yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.