South African Covid-19 News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

reactor_sa

Executive Member

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Does the BCG vaccine work against Covid-19?

Maybe.

Google: world ranking of academic institutions "New York Institute of Technology"
country rank 529
world rank 1447
So yeah, highly credible source right there... /sarcasm

Jings

Treasure Maker
Maybe.

Google: world ranking of academic institutions "New York Institute of Technology"

So yeah, highly credible source right there... /sarcasm
If the trials demonstrate the vaccine is effective we'll be smiling.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
If the trials demonstrate the vaccine is effective we'll be smiling.
True, but South Africa doesn't have to do any trials, because 80-90% of the population was vaccinated at birth...

Worth reading a little of the history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCG_vaccine
BCG vaccine is also in Phase 3 trials (as of March 2020) of being studied to prevent COVID-19 in health care workers in Australia and Netherlands. Neither country practices routine BCG vaccination.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Does the BCG vaccine work against Covid-19?

Yeah, I posted this in the Corona virus good news thread and some twat came and shot me down!!! Oh look, he's here too, doing the same... :laugh: Grumpy old man...Corona's coming for you grumpy old man.... :ROFL:

sand_man

Honorary Master
I bet you didn't even read the whole article.
Yeah, why bother, it's a bad news article promulgated by unreliable sources such as the WHO and the NYIT... /sarcasm

Last edited:

Jings

Treasure Maker
Yeah, why bother, it's a bad news article promulgated by unreliable sources such as the WHO and the NYIT... /sarcasm
It actually makes sense when you compare the countries which included BCG vaccine in the vaccination package to the Covid-19 mortalities on the world map.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Someone pointed that it wears of in about 15 years
Read the article before spouting BS:
The duration of protection of BCG is not clearly known. In those studies showing a protective effect, the data are inconsistent. The MRC study showed protection waned to 59% after 15 years and to zero after 20 years; however, a study looking at Native Americans immunized in the 1930s found evidence of protection even 60 years after immunization, with only a slight waning in efficacy.
I bet you didn't even read the whole article.
I can't help it if you are a slow reader. /sarcasm

Yeah, I posted this in the Corona virus good news thread and some twat came and shot me down!!! Oh look, he's here too, doing the same... :laugh: Grumpy old man...Corona's coming for you grumpy old man.... :ROFL:
Ad-hominem attacks don't add much to scientific arguments.

MiW

Read the article before spouting BS:

So you just confirmed what I said. BS really? I posted the first article in the subject in the other thread, and I DID read it days ago... 'excuse me' for not reading it again 3 days later.Get a life instead of posting stupid stuff confirming my post.
If the vaccine was protecting for 60 years SA wouldn't have any TB left

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If the vaccine was protecting for 60 years SA wouldn't have any TB left
And again, it is NOT about total prevention, that requires a vaccine. It is about what role BCG could possibly be playing in reducing the severity of Covid 19, or improving the body's chance of developing anti-bodies sooner and even could mean why more people in SA are asymptotic.

JayM

Expert Member
UK death rate is very high, and they've had universal BCG vaccination since 1953.

Status
Not open for further replies.