South African Covid-19 News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
If the vaccine was protecting for 60 years SA wouldn't have any TB left
Logic fail.

The problem with TB in South Africa has little to do with declining efficacy of the BCG vaccine. It has a lot to do with socio-economic deprivation, chronic alcoholism, and HIV, leading to depressed immune systems.

I am fortunate that I do not know anyone in my socio-economic group ever infected with TB. I do know two in a lower socio-economic group who did have it: one died, one recovered. Both were car guards. Draw your own conclusions...

JayM

Expert Member
They stopped in 2005, also the vaccine only has efficacy for 15 years anyway
They did, but it's almost exclusively old people that have been dying, who would definitely have been vaccinated.

According to Wikipedia, the 15 years efficacy is disputed.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Logic fail.

The problem with TB in South Africa has little to do with declining efficacy of the BCG vaccine. It has a lot to do with socio-economic deprivation, chronic alcoholism, and HIV, leading to depressed immune systems.

I am fortunate that I do not know anyone in my socio-economic group ever infected with TB. I do know two in a lower socio-economic group who did have it: one died, one recovered. Both were car guards. Draw your own conclusions...
I've never known anyone with it.

MiW

And again, it is NOT about total prevention, that requires a vaccine. It is about what role BCG could possibly be playing in reducing the severity of Covid 19, or improving the body's chance of developing anti-bodies sooner and even could mean why more people in SA are asymptotic.
Yes, what exactly make you think that I missed that point? Or you also just like to post for the sake of posting.

MiW

The only people I've seen personally with TB, were relatively young doctors who got it working in government hospitals :(

Jings

Treasure Maker
If you were born before 1973 you would not have received the vaccine, either way less people to vaccinate.
Depends which country you were born. But also take into account kids are immunised for various diseases normally until school going age. It could have been administered at a later stage, if not at birth.

JayM

Expert Member
There does seem to be a very strong correlation of low # cases and fatalities in countries where there is a BCG vaccination regime:

South Korea
Japan
Singapore
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Thailand

Most of these countries haven't had full lockdowns and have very densely populated urban areas - exactly where you'd expect the virus to spread much faster. Maybe there is some validity to the theory. Or corona is racist and doesn't like Asians.

ponder

Honorary Master
Depends which country you were born. But also take into account kids are immunised for various diseases normally until school going age. It could have been administered at a later stage, if not at birth.
Talking about SA births.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
If you were born before 1973 you would not have received the vaccine, either way less people to vaccinate.
I was born in 1961, and have a vaccine scar on my shoulder. Why do you think the vaccine was not used before 1973? I had a followup test in 1979 that confirmed that I had been vaccinated at a young age. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaf_test

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
But very disappointing never the less.
A typical reaction driven by fear, suspicion and superstition.

ponder

Honorary Master
Status
Not open for further replies.