South African COVID-19 vaccines compared

furpile

Expert Member
What about people that already had Covid? Will they also need to get a vaccine? That is at least 1,5 million people.

ajan

What about people that already had Covid? Will they also need to get a vaccine? That is at least 1,5 million people.
Why would you get a virus injection which trains your antibodies, when you've already gone through the process?

Brontosaurus

Expert Member
Why would you get a virus injection which trains your antibodies, when you've already gone through the process?

There is no indication whether you can be reinfected or not.

Anecdotally, I know of someone who has had it twice, both times exhibiting symptoms.

I had it back in June and you can bet your top dollar I'll be in line to get vaccinated.

ajan

Anecdotally, I know of someone who has had it twice, both times exhibiting symptoms.

I had it back in June and you can bet your top dollar I'll be in line to get vaccinated.
That logic makes no sense. You making it sound like the vaccine is a miracle drug that will stop infection.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

So, exactly the same evidence as there is for people that have received the vaccine?

Why would you take the vaccine if you've already had the disease?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yes every one will get it.
You might have to wait 5 - 10 years, but you will get a jab.
It might just be a vial of water but you will get a jab.
They might have to dig up your corpse, but you will get a jab.

furpile

Expert Member
My question is not about wanting the vaccine, it is about the lack of info from government on whether these people will be included in the limited vaccine rollout that is starting now.

Supervan II

Expert Member

So that person might have contracted a different strain, imho. Same as if you get the vaccine - it will not prevent a different strain infecting you.

ajan

My question is not about wanting the vaccine, it is about the lack of info from government on whether these people will be included in the limited vaccine rollout that is starting now.
Hey bud, don't argue with Government - all their decisions are made with science backed evidence. You aren't a bigot right?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So that person might have contracted a different strain, imho. Same as if you get the vaccine - it will not prevent a different strain infecting you.
No they have solved that problem. It is not a new strain but a new variant. Therefore it will work. Because by definition we have defined it to work.
You can't use an alternative treatment because you trigger the virus to mutate.
The vaccine will not do the same because it has gone through a triple blind trial.
Sarcasm just in case someone missed it.
Of course the virus will react by mutating. So the vaccine will have to be tweaked every time a new variant shows up.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Yes, we know of at least 1.5M people who have tested positive. I suspect at least 5-10x undercount - that means 7.5M to 15M South Africans have already had it.

But apparently antibodies is no guarantee against re-infection - especially the new variants :(

furpile

Expert Member
Yes, we know of at least 1.5M people who have tested positive. I suspect at least 5-10x undercount - that means 7.5M to 15M South Africans have already had it.

But apparently antibodies is no guarantee against re-infection - especially the new variants :(
If antibodies from the original virus does not help, how does a vaccine based on the original virus help with the new strains?

RandomGeek

Expert Member
So the vaccine will have to be tweaked every time a new variant shows up.
We may end up with a flu vaccine situation - where the vaccine is revised yearly to adjust for changes in the circulating virus

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Currently the tests necessary to prove (with 100% accuracy) that someone has antibodies, costs many times more than a vaccine dose. Therefore the logical step is to vaccinate everyone, regardless of prior exposure.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
If antibodies from the original virus does not help, how does a vaccine based on the original virus help with the new strains?
it should help - from studies I have seen it is just not as effective as against the original variants. But it still means fewer infections and fewer people falling seriously ill so I'm all for us doing it.

Its like giving a thirsty man a 1.5L Coke instead of a 2L Coke - not perfect but he won't say no