South African criminals are stealing security beams

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

There has been a spike in criminals stealing perimeter detection beams, which are there to keep them out, and then selling them on the black market.

This is according to feedback from Monitor Net spokesperson JP Le Roux. Monitor Net is a security company which offers a wide range of crime-fighting services.

Daruk

Honorary Master

There has been a spike in criminals stealing perimeter detection beams, which are there to keep them out, and then selling them on the black market.

This is according to feedback from Monitor Net spokesperson JP Le Roux. Monitor Net is a security company which offers a wide range of crime-fighting services.
That's next level crime LMAO. Stealing the anti theft gadgets because they sell well. We have come far.

Supervan II

Expert Member
And security cameras too, forgetting that the images are captured remotely (inside the house/business).

chrisc

Executive Member
Had 4 cameras stolen

Last one, fellow climbed on to the wheelie bin and was prising it off the wall when a dog walker saw him and shouted. He fell off and broke something, his wrist I think

Ambulance came about 45 mins later. After a week, SAPS came round and told me that he had said I had attacked him. Only problem with that idea is that I was in Montagu that week-end and Monday.

I had to visit the police station and sign an affidavit

All this for a bergie who I had never met. I suppose he has rights too

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If someone is able to steal your perimeter beams then you need to go to your alarm installer and ask for your money back. A properly specced and installed system would never allow this to happen.
Why? Cause it is active all the time?

That’s why I’d normally recommend a properly installed electric fence above beams.

quovadis

Expert Member
If someone is able to steal your perimeter beams then you need to go to your alarm installer and ask for your money back. A properly specced and installed system would never allow this to happen.
Lol. Really? Unless you're fortified like a prison with active guarding good luck with that.

Apogee

Cameras do nothing to deter these criminals. They only give you footage for an entertaining Youtube video after the fact.

Also, why does everyone always record the footage from the playback on a monitor with their mobile phone? Most (if not all) DVRs have an export function, so you can just post the original video file. This also have the benefit of excluding the background commentary.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
What exactly is it going to do? Dispense a deadly shock? Beat the perp up?

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Cameras does nothing to deter these criminals. They only give you footage for an entertaining Youtube video after the fact.

Also, why does everyone always record the footage from the playback on a monitor with their mobile phone? Most (if not all) DVRs have an export function, so you can just post the original video file. This also have the benefit of excluding the background commentary.
Cameras absolutely do deter criminals. Where do you get that they do nothing?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Cameras does nothing to deter these criminals. They only give you footage for an entertaining Youtube video after the fact.

Front office security guard probably doesn't have access to anything other than the screen I suppose? Or doesn't have the knowledge.

Apogee

Cameras absolutely do deter criminals. Where do you get that they do nothing?
How many times have you seen a criminal look up at the camera and then turn around?

Just this week they walked into one of the institutions that I support that have a multitude of cameras, and they walked out with a stolen phone. This just a day or two after doing the same with a shop just across the road, which also have cameras.

I have even seen footage of the perps looking up and waving at the camera, before walking out with a TV-set from someone's home.

And to be specific, I am talking about the cameras mounted inside most small offices and homes that are not monitored.

Daruk

Honorary Master
How many times have you seen a criminal look up at the camera and then turn around?

Just this week they walked into one of the institutions that I support that have a multitude of cameras, and they walked out with a stolen phone. This just a day or two after doing the same with a shop just across the road, which also have cameras.

I have even seen footage of the perps looking up and waving at the camera, before walking out with a TV-set from someone's home.
So your logic is "people steal cameras therefore cameras are not a deterrent"
What's next? Cops don't deter criminals? Private security is a waste of time? Perps poison dogs, therefore dogs are not a deterrent?

Please tell us what you consider a deterrent. /Waits patiently