South African criminals are stealing security beams

Calkem

Well ... already, driving on the old Jhb road in the Centurion area you see palisade fences where the palisades have disappeared.
Ya, I have seen that before, actually I saw the devils fork fence at one of the cemetaries got stolen. A cemetary! They even stole the drop poles. Soon they will nothing left to steal, just dogs, beam, guns, fences, burglar bars... All the security stuff

Daruk

Honorary Master
I think it's rather easy to determine if someone is actively monitoring something or not. As for the resolution it's well known that the majority of analog or lower megapixel IP cameras produce a very low image quality especially at distance where everything isn't particularly sharp and is oversaturated.

Like I said, it is less of a deterrent these days as is evident by the footage.
Evidence? Where is this evidence?

quovadis

Expert Member
Evidence? Where is this evidence?
The amount of footage available of criminals simply ignoring cameras and going on with their business. If it was as much of a deterrent there wouldn't be any footage. Look at cellphone companies - cameras inside every base station yet batteries are still being stolen.

SAguy

Expert Member
The amount of footage available of criminals simply ignoring cameras and going on with their business. If it was as much of a deterrent there wouldn't be any footage. Look at cellphone companies - cameras inside every base station yet batteries are still being stolen.
What about all the criminals that there is NO footage of because they were deterred by the cameras in the first place?
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Daruk

Honorary Master
What about all the criminals that there is NO footage of because they were deterred by the cameras in the first place?
Precisely. If I counted the number of times my place wasn't burgled...

Daruk

Honorary Master
1. Batteries are highly sought after.
2. I don't have batteries to steal.

You see the relationship between risk vs reward, right?
You realise that 14 people attempted to escape from Alcatraz? Does that mean that the force afforded prison officials, the high risk of death, etc. is not a deterrent?

quovadis

Expert Member
1. Batteries are highly sought after.
2. I don't have batteries to steal.

You see the relationship between risk vs reward, right?
You realise that 14 people attempted to escape from Alcatraz? Does that mean that the force afforded prison officials, the high risk of death, etc. is not a deterrent?
So what is the issue you have with my statement that security cameras are "less of a deterrent" these days? My statement has nothing to do with risk vs reward, a prison or some binary reasoning for or against security cameras.

quovadis

Expert Member
I was giving an EXAMPLE to substantiate my argument that security cameras are a LESS OF A DETERRENT to criminals these days. I'm sure they're a deterrent, but LESS of a deterrent than they used to be is all I was saying.

quovadis

Expert Member
So your logic is "people steal cameras therefore cameras are not a deterrent"
No he never said that. You posited that. He was giving an example that despite cameras being present criminality still prevails. That's not saying that cameras don't deter criminals but not all criminals all of the time.

What's next? Cops don't deter criminals? Private security is a waste of time? Perps poison dogs, therefore dogs are not a deterrent?

Please tell us what you consider a deterrent. /Waits patiently
You're arguing that deterrence is absolute when it's not. Noone here is arguing that cameras aren't a deterrence but rather their effectiveness is dependent on various factors.