South African employees are some of the happiest in the world

Us South Africans do seem to get along better with each other in general than in a lot of other places, but we've all faced greedy CEO's, crappy micromanagers, annoying co-workers, general know-it-alls as well as just terrible working environments.

But one big advantage we as employees have vs. places like the US is our labour laws. Your seniors not being able to fire you either because they just don't like your face, or because they need to hit some hiring/firing quota is a big deal.

Us South Africans do seem to get along better with each other in general than in a lot of other places, but we've all faced greedy CEO's, crappy micromanagers, annoying co-workers, general know-it-alls as well as just terrible working environments.

We do get these as well, varies from company to company

can't be fired
You're right here. Harder to fire a SA worker.

less working hours
This isn't true. Our work week of 40h is pretty standard. In fact in America it's lower at like 34h

low pressure
Depends on your job.

ccma / labour court in favour of the employees
Also true, but does depend on your circumstances and what evidence there is against you. They do seem to bias towards the employee though.

long annual leave
Also not true. England for example requires a minimum of 28 days per year. SA only required to provide 21. Lots of coutnries giving more leave than we get. With more public holidays too. If anything SA seems somewhere on the lower end of this scale.

no overtime required, double pay for holidays.
True, most countries it's not mandated by law. It's just in your contract.

etc etc

how can they "not happy"?
Easily.

Does he work for employers? Want more out of you with the ruse that it will make you feel better to have less private time.

I work more than my working time, I take my time back the next day. I can not work for free.

Last edited:
When they see that PAYE number on their salary slip.
I just got my increase. Put me in a new bracket... Most of the increase is probably going to PAYE. Increase means nothing.

Back