South African estates are telling closed fibre networks to get lost

Liam_Selby

MyBroadband Intern
South African estates are telling closed fibre networks to get lost

Gated communities, estates, and business parks in South Africa are taking a “hard line” against fibre infrastructure players which do not offer open access networks.

This is according to ISPA, which stated that people are increasingly insisting on open-access fibre installations. Open-access networks allow multiple ISPs to operate on their infrastructure.

Sl8er

Executive Member
"South African estates are telling closed fibre networks to get lost"

Good!

randburgred

What our complex did was to allow closed access for six months and open access thereafter Should you wish to change ISP after 6 months it was your decision

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Which ones are the ones that have closed-access? In my search for fibre providers a few years ago, none that I could find, were closed access.

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
I live an estate with a closed access network. Issue was that the developer signed a contract with the provider giving them sole exclusivity to the estate and other open providers were not allowed in.

Looks like we finally got past that and Octotel is busy installing.

S1ght

Expert Member
I remember complaining to my Body Corporate when they decided to sign up with SA Digital Village, their response was if I didn't like it then I didn't have to sign up with them. All I could do was sigh :/

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
And who can blame them. Who the hell wants to be locked into a two year contract with some useless and overpriced ISP? It's bad enough that us South Africans have to endure that God-awful ANC with no end in sight.

krycor

Honorary Master
had an estate which was dumb enough to sign on with exclusive fibre connection.. so i moved. People there either got the fibre & whined about price + service or kept ADSL..

The thing is these fibre guys told them it was open access.. and when i pushed the estate to finally find out they realized they signed themselves into a corner

Swa

Honorary Master
Which ones are the ones that have closed-access? In my search for fibre providers a few years ago, none that I could find, were closed access.
Vodacom and MTN? Also Cybersmart.