South African fibre price war - uncapped fibre for under R400 per month

Chris

Journalist
South African fibre price war - uncapped fibre for under R400 per month

South Africans can now buy a fast, uncapped fibre-to-the-home service for under R400 per month thanks to speed increases and price cuts from network operators.

The fibre price war in South Africa was started by Openserve when they increased the speeds of their wholesale offerings for free on 1 March 2021.

Openserve upgraded the speed of its 10Mbps, 20Mbps, 50Mbps, and 100Mbps products to 25Mbps, 50Mbps, 100Mbps, and 200Mbps respectively.

randomcat

Expert Member
568zdk.jpg

WollieVerstege

Vumatel seems to be taking the same road ad Multichoice. Think they can do what they want becaue of their monopoly.
Yet, yesterday I received notification that the one complex where I own a rental property has now dumped Vumatel and have switched to Openserve. Negotiations were just about done with Vumatel and now they walk away with nothing. 65 units of which about 40 indicated they will be taking up fiber.
This is also not the only complex I know of going through this or similar process

MEG101

Fibre cables are suspended and not trenched (installed underground)!:rolleyes:
Same principle as Openserve copper cables are suspended on poles that carry the DSL infrastructure to you home. Herotel will plant a center pole on the inside your premises and install the fiber cables and box onto it, and then connect a cable that runs from the fiber box to the houses that feeds from the box to your home. Same way that Openserve (Telkom) installed a phone line in your home way back.

MEG101

Vumatel is run the same way as Cell C. ie into the ground
I am afraid we are going to wait until they (hopefully) realize people are using alternative connections, because they are running the network like a monopoly with ridiculous high prices (like Multichoice runs it - pay our prices or don't use it) then it will be too late. By that time Herotel - or another fiber operator like Openserve will have laid their own network there, and people are using them. Hopefully I can keep using my awesome JustDSL uncapped unshaped DSL connection for a long time to come, or until Openserve laid fiber in my area, I will switch to them in an instant. Prices are great at the moment on Openserve fiber and DSL.

MEG101

Vumatel is run the same way as Cell C. ie into the ground
I could not agree more. I have 2 Cell C packages and most of the time no signal since they took the roaming away from MTN and gave it to Vodacom.

MEG101

Herotel aerial fiber network... since when did wireless turn into as good as fiber?
It is run of their own fiber network and cables are suspended in the air on poles just like Telkom did years ago when they installed the network to give us a telephone line in our houses. Openserve uses aerial fiber and and disconnected the copper network and replaced them with aerial fiber in some areas. That is why you cannot get DSL services in areas where Openserve has fiber.

JustAsk

Expert Member
It is run of their own fiber network and cables are suspended in the air on poles just like Telkom did years ago when they installed the network to give us a telephone line in our houses. Openserve uses aerial fiber and and disconnected the copper network and replaced them with aerial fiber in some areas. That is why you cannot get DSL services in areas where Openserve has fiber.
He knows. He thought he was jerking off in an airfibre thread.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Herotel aerial fiber network... since when did wireless turn into as good as fiber?
Wondering the same thing...

I've had a look at their site before, during the 1st incarnation of this story.
And I don't see this mentioned on their site.

Looking at their Wireless Option here.

It says:

SO, WHAT IS WIRELESS INTERNET?​

Wireless internet is an incredibly versatile technology that beams the internet from one of our towers directly through the air into your home or business. The internet is transmitted over radio waves, the same way you listen to the radio in your car, and connects to your WiFi network through a small radio antenna that we attach to your roof.
One of the many great advantages of wireless internet is its reach. Not only does it work well in the city, but it also allows us to connect outlying suburbs, farms and businesses to fast, affordable internet. Without these wireless services, these communities would not have internet connectivity.

Which to me sounds a lot like Wimax...

Unless there's a further breakdown of their "Air Fibre" which I can't find on their website.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You and @HartsockZA both have the same problem, you are for some reason confusing "Air Fibre" (which is a bunch of BS) and aerial fibre, and you both should abandon that incorrect thinking with immediate effect..

Aerial fibre is optic fibre cables hung from poles, instead of optic fibre cables buried in trenches.

eg2505

Honorary Master
how does one find out who owns the fiber infrastructure near you?
as not everywhere is there great specials and deals like whats shown here.

I mean myself for one had installation by netstream, who do they backhaul with?