South African fibre price war - uncapped fibre for under R400 per month

Supersoaker

how does one find out who owns the fiber infrastructure near you?
as not everywhere is there great specials and deals like whats shown here.

I mean myself for one had installation by netstream, who do they backhaul with?
Check the grey boxes on peoples walls, they should be embossed or have a sticker on to show who owns the network.

Fibre Tiger

Alternatively if you don't feel like leaving your cave you can check each FNO website there should be a coverage section.

Vumatel

Octotel

Openserve

Metrofibre

Last edited:

Supersoaker

how does one find out who owns the fiber infrastructure near you?
as not everywhere is there great specials and deals like whats shown here.

I mean myself for one had installation by netstream, who do they backhaul with?
Are you sure they didn't just do your fibre installation? A lot of these FNO's/isps will outsource the installation of the fibre into your house to a contractor/company depending on where you're situated.

If you go to https://www.speedtest.net/ and press go does the name above your ip address return Netstream or the complex name that you're in?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Are you sure they didn't just do your fibre installation? A lot of these FNO's/isps will outsource the installation of the fibre into your house to a contractor/company depending on where you're situated.

If you go to https://www.speedtest.net/ and press go does the name above your ip address return Netstream or the complex name that you're in?
Netstream did a cr@ppy installation of the fiber box our side, didn't hook it up properly and kids nearby trashed it,
left holes uncovered that sort of thing,

we anyway not that happy with Netstream poor service,
so again, how does one find out who owns the fiber infrastructure? as I'm not 100% sure Fibretiger is showing me who actually owns the fiber

LinuxMan

Expert Member
At least the pricing is coming down, 30/2 starting from R399.
Starting to see more value for people needing fibre under R500.
And 30mb is more than enough for most people.

Supersoaker

Netstream did a cr@ppy installation of the fiber box our side, didn't hook it up properly and kids nearby trashed it,

so again, how does one find out who owns the fiber infrastructure? as I'm not 100% sure Fibretiger is showing me who actually owns the fiber
Hold up, there is a page that each party has to sign stating that they are happy with the installation that the contractor carried out.

Supersoaker

What does it show you?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Hold up, there is a page that each party has to sign stating that they are happy with the installation that the contractor carried out.
damages happened after installation,
Fibre isn't even activated even. still trying to decide if its worth it.

Supersoaker

At least the pricing is coming down, 30/2 starting from R399.
Starting to see more value for people needing fibre under R500.
And 30mb is more than enough for most people.
I squeeze the sh!!t out of a 15/15 line :ROFL: using a Netgear Nighthawk D7800 X4S running OpenWRT the qos works really well.

HartsockZA

You and @HartsockZA both have the same problem, you are for some reason confusing "Air Fibre" (which is a bunch of BS) and aerial fibre, and you both should abandon that incorrect thinking with immediate effect..

Aerial fibre is optic fibre cables hung from poles, instead of optic fibre cables buried in trenches.
There are sooooo many threads regarding air fiber and airial fiber. I know the difference people! Wasn't born yesterday, was more playing the joke end of it. Seems I need to step away from these forums for a bit cause man it's starting to get real salty in here

supersunbird

Honorary Master
There are sooooo many threads regarding air fiber and airial fiber. I know the difference people! Wasn't born yesterday, was more playing the joke end of it. Seems I need to step away from these forums for a bit cause man it's starting to get real salty in here

Use italics then ;)

system32

Expert Member
Herotel aerial fiber network... since when did wireless turn into as good as fiber?

https://www.herotel.com/fibre-vs-wireless/
Herotel is proud of the fact that, as one of the fastest growing fibre internet players in South Africa, we have been putting down fibre optic networks in places where few expected them: Queenstown, Hoedspruit, Jeffreys Bay, Klerksdorp, Worcester and many others. We generally build aerial fibre networks that travel from pole to pole, instead of underground. This approach means we avoid damaging sidewalks and, more importantly, we can build it quicker.